Looking for the latest product updates? What's new for Spring 2024 is now available!

Ability to Change Line Spacing for Bulleted and Numbered Lists

Trying to add a bulleted or numbered list I run into multiple problems. First, as users, WE should be able to control the spacing, not you, so there is/isn't a space between a heading and the list points or individual list points. Second, I cannot indent a list without it giving me a blank first item that is not indented.

Top Answer
Caitlin_M
Administrator

Hi all. We're updating the status of this idea to more accurately reflect its current status with our engineering team and also made slight changes to the subject line in order for it to be more easily found. Right now, we do not have information to share about the possibility of including line spacing for bulleted or numbered lists. If we hear any discussions or further details, we'll be sure to post them here. 

27 Comments
Frankie_P
Status changed to: Voting Open

Hi @JeanS27632 Thank you for reaching with this feedback! These are all great ideas that we are tracking in our system on your behalf. At this time spacing for bulleted and numbered lists do remain at a default 1.2 spacing. Copying and pasting bullet character from another source or use an alt code (alt+7) for your bullet points can help with changing this line spacing. The same can be said about indentation for paragraphs. If you copy text that includes a tab from an external source (like Microsoft Word), the editor will convert the tab to non-breaking spaces and save. You can also continue adding dashes and change their font color to match the background color. As for inserting a word text block, are what kind of block are you looking to add? What steps would you expect to take to add one into your email? What about the blocks we currently provide does not meet your need for this?

JeanS27632
Rookie

Hi Frankie, thank you for your response and your suggested workarounds. We have tried copying and pasting from Word. When we do, from within the Constant Contact third generation editor it looks like the formatting will be maintained, but the formatting is lost when the email is sent. 

For indenting paragraphs, we'll try adding dashes and changing the font color to match the background color. That should work as a workaround.

Regarding inserting a Word text block, I need to get more information about that from my manager.

Thanks again.

RachelK30
Constant Contact Partner

Why don't Bullet Lists and Number Lists follow the line spacing selected in the formatting toolbar?

This seems like absolute basic formatting 101 to produce professional looking emails.

I also want to add that this is the third time (regarding three different issues) that I have received this response from customer service:

"It seems to be an issue on our end due to <<INSERT CUSTOMER REPORTED ISSUE>>. I will tag your account as one that is being affected."

and
"Our team is currently working on this issue and are doing their best to resolve it as soon as possible. What I can do is have them email you once this issue is resolved."

I've have yet to receive an email notifying me that any past reported issue has been solved. This starts to seem like a stock reply and a dismissal of a reported issue.

BneiA
Campaign Collaborator

I'd like to be able to adjust the spacing between the bullets in a list. I also find it strange that line spacing adjustments have been removed from the new (fourth?) generation editor. 

BarryE29
Rookie

Yeah.

Having the same problem with not being able to control the packing in my numbered list.

Does seem pretty basic (but I hate when my clients say that and it is a lot more work than they understand). I see the comments about outlook...but yeah, we should be able to space the font (and change the font size to 15 or some other incremental size).

: )
thanks

AtmaG
Rookie

Hi, 

In my email, i use bulleted list a lot. Unfortunately, there is not much control in formatting these. I am unable to change the linespacing and the indentation for each item. Also, this seems to render differently on different email clients, specially on MS Outlook. Is there a way to get this fixed or a workaround?

KariB9
Rookie

Hello,

I'm frustrated by the inability of a user being unable to override the auto-formatting of numbers in an email campaign.

I'm writing an email that lists 5 possible solutions to a problem that readers can think over. In all of my campaigns, paragraphs are single spaced with a double-space between paragraphs. I want my list of 5 solutions to be numbered, with each considered a separate paragraph. For example:

1. Suggestion a

2. Suggestion b

3. Suggestion c 

The program is not allowing me to add a space between my numbers - it's autoformatting so #1 - 5 are all bunched together without proper spacing. 

It's making me list them as:

1. Suggestion a

2. Suggestion b

3. Suggestion c

It's driving me insane not being able to format an email the way I want to and instead having to go with the autoformatting provided by contact contact. 

SharonB1421
Brand Strategist

🤦‍♂️

RobertR772
Constant Contact Partner

When a list is created in the campaign editor using the auto list tool, the line spacing for the list text automatically becomes 1.2 even though the paragraph spacing is set at 1.5 or 2. This looks terrible and should be remedied. If the paragraph is set at 1.5, the list should remain at 1.5.  This is not an isolated case.

MikeB84
Campaign Expert

Yes yes yes!!! Please add line spacing to bulleted and numbered lists! I always use 1.5 line spacing in my emails but then when I add lists it goes back to 1.0 and looks TERRIBLE. Please Constant Contact look into fixing this.

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More