Looking for the latest product updates? What's new for Spring 2024 is now available!

Ability to edit HTML in email campaign

Arghh not dig'n it. How can I view a new account in the old editor? The new editor is like the new social social sharing tool... a wicked drag.

245 Comments
BrianD069
Campaign Contributor

Please give us this feature! When copying and pasting content into the editor, it often captures fonts and styles I want to get rid of in the final version. It looks fine in the editor, but in email preview I see the fonts are different. Then there is no way to go into the html and see what's happening and clean it up! Very frustrating.

SharonR53
Brand Visionary
I wonder who thought this video was funny or cute. Hmmm...probably the same folks who created 3rd Gen templates and took away our option to use html for editing. Happy Holidays, Constant Contact. Maybe 2019 will see an improved Gen 4--with the ability to copy our existing templates into the "upgrade" without having to create new ones from scratch.
Chris__D
Employee
Status changed to: Open Questions

Hey @SharonR53, thanks for sharing your feedback. Due to the newer Third Generation Editor being 100% mobile responsive, we unfortunately don't have a way to convert the older editor's templates to the Third Generation Editor as they were not originally built to respond to mobile devices. Due to them having such a drastic difference, the only way to "move" an older campaign into a Third Generation campaign is to recreate it within a Third Generation template. I know this isn't an ideal solution and we've definitely worked to help make this easier by adding new blocks like the 5x1 content block, the option to edit background colors in blocks, and more. 

If you have a specific campaign that you aren't able to remaster in a mobile responsive template within the Third Generation Editor, I'd be happy to take a look at it and see how we can make this process smoother. As a side note, you do have the option of copying the Legacy Newsletter campaigns which will allow you to edit the content and send it to your contacts. 

HeatherC24871
Campaign Collaborator

i, too, miss the ability to directly edit the html of the newsletters. CC's WYSIWYG editor does weird and frustrating things (like randomly forgetting font, size, colour, and other things despite repeated setting of them) and being able to get into the html and correct the glitches has saved my sanity. not to mention getting rid of empty divs and such. i can't find how to get in there to configure the images, and the new images module doesn't have alignment and size choices like before. i also can't figure out - yet - how to get back into the old interface so i can do this. if i had time i'd recreate the html of the newsletter and use the Custom HTML option - but i haven't the time and the boss is unable to. we just renewed, so i have to deal with it - but i'm dubious about recommending this new interface!

GlennR1
Rookie

In a conversation with support a few days ago, they said that the editor I am using, version 2, is being deprecated, and that they newest version 3 does not allow code view or access. If Constant Contact is listening, please hear me that I will take all my business elsewhere. I have been a user of CC for 15  years, I have steered many of my clients to use CC, and I regularly use the combination WYSIWYG editor while also entering custom HTML in some tags. If CC doesn't allow this, I will be forced to find someone that does. Glenn

Candace_M
Employee

Hello @GlennR1,

Thank you for taking the time to submit this to us. I want to hear more about what kinds of changes were you making to the HTML of your previous campaigns. Were they things that you no longer have control over in the new editor? If so would creating a feature to accomplish the task meet your need or do you absolutely need access to the actual HTML?

RodneyP806
Campaign Collaborator

Clearly, they're not listening.

I'm going to have to suggest to my boss that we find some other option.

This is a waste of time.

GlennR916
Campaign Collaborator

Hi Rodney:

I have made the plunge to . I actually prefer how Constant Contacts handles lists. It is much more intuitive. But  has no problem with HTML access, which is what I need. There are parts of my campaigns where I copy HTML from other programs and paste in the email. This is no longer supported with CC. And...their whole "illegal character" thing drives me crazy. It is there way of saying that they can't figure out how to deal with my content. In many cases there are no special characters, but CC just can't figure out what is going on, so they deliver this message.

Glenn

Candace_M
Employee

Hello @RodneyP806,

I'm interested in hearing more about your personal need to be able to edit HTML? What types of edits are you looking to do that you can not do in the editor currently? 

Candace_M
Employee

Hi @GlennR916,

I'm sorry to hear that you have made the decision to leave Constant Contact. Was the reason for this due to the lack of access to the HTML?

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More