Looking for the latest product updates? What's new for Spring 2024 is now available!

Select or exclude individual contacts/lists when sending email

Hey there! It would be great to have an efficient way to create exclusion lists. The tag system is a cumbersome process to go through when the goal is to simply send an email to List A, but exclude anyone who is also on List B. If a checkbox-to-exclude feature became a reality, you'd have a lot of happy customers! (I did search the "Constant Contact Community" when trying to find out how to exclude a list BTW.) 

I didn't necessarily want to post this particular message to the entire "community" but I couldn't find a way to just email my exclusion list request to your developers.

Thanks,

Kim

Top Answer
Kyle_R
Administrator

Hello,

We are considering this as Implemented with the addition of “AND” and “IS NOT” logic within the segments
feature. You can now create a segment for those who are a member of List A, and not a member of List B. After
this implementation sometime around mid-2021 we’ve seen requests on this particular feature drop off across
all of our feedback channels.

There was a large variety of use cases for this particular request, so this was the solution that had the widest range to address most of them. If you require additional filtering needs, you may be interested in adding your voice to one of these existing open ideas:

The ability to segment by specific date (before X or after X)

Additional Segment Criteria

For those looking to send an email to an individual contact, you may be interested in the Quick Send feature.

99 Comments
PWAToronto
Rookie

It is so appalling that a company with "contact" in their name doesn't have a very simple list suppression feature. 

THIS IS BASIC FOR ANY EMAIL MARKETING

No more excuses, get to work on creating a feature that has been standard since the 1990s. 

UNHNY
Rookie

THIS SLOWS ME DOWN EVERY SINGLE TIME. Why can I not suppress a list? This costs me time and money.

GraemeW77
Campaign Contributor

My organization has been using Constant Contact for the last several months and found it super helpful. However, I would love to be able to send an email/email campaign to only specific contacts without having to first add them to a list and then select the list. If this already exists and I haven't found out how to do it please let me know!

Frankie_P
Status changed to: Open Questions

Hi @GraemeW77 are you looking to send a draft email or a previously sent email to one specific contact?  If you are looking to send a previously sent email to one contact, does our quicksend feature help fit your needs?

GraemeW77
Campaign Contributor

I was looking for something that, when you are finished designing an email and wish to send it out, the ability to select specific contacts directly without having to first go and add them to a list and then send to that specific list!

Caitlin_M
Administrator

Thank you for letting us know, @GraemeW77. We have a similar idea with being able to exclude or select individual contacts on the scheduling page. We'll merge this post there. 

Naphsis
Campaign Collaborator

I find this incredulous that 4 years later this functionality STILL doesn't exist. I agree with the commenter above that cites other email marketing tools that offer this functionality. Suffice it to say this feature alone will make it so that I always recommend a client does NOT go with Constant Contact if I am part of their decision making process. This one feature makes so much of my proposed communication plans virtually impossible without serious added work and time for workarounds. 

moshef
Campaign Expert

Hey people. I think they fixed this with their segment feature.

I created a segment with the criteria to include everyone who is on list A AND who is not on list B.  This way, anyone who is on list B and on list A will not be included when I send out emails to this segment. Hope this helps!

Kyle_R
Administrator
Status changed to: Closed - Implemented

Hello,

We are considering this as Implemented with the addition of “AND” and “IS NOT” logic within the segments
feature. You can now create a segment for those who are a member of List A, and not a member of List B. After
this implementation sometime around mid-2021 we’ve seen requests on this particular feature drop off across
all of our feedback channels.

There was a large variety of use cases for this particular request, so this was the solution that had the widest range to address most of them. If you require additional filtering needs, you may be interested in adding your voice to one of these existing open ideas:

The ability to segment by specific date (before X or after X)

Additional Segment Criteria

For those looking to send an email to an individual contact, you may be interested in the Quick Send feature.

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More