Export Survey Results for respondent in a Row instead of Stacked

I would add to my list of unacceptable changes to the Survey functionality is the exporting.  In the Legacy Survey, there were choices on how to export the data.  When choosing Export all to CSV file, the data was organized by respondent, and had all responses to each question on one row in the spreadsheet.

The Export all Results (the only export option) from the current survey is virtually worthless, as the responses are scattered on different rows.  See example below (names and email addresses intentionally deleted):

Question Response First Name Last Name Date/Time
Comments: They guy at the front desk was really nice and super welcoming. He had a great attitude and made me feel at home Leslie   03/15/2021 02:51:51 PM PDT
Comments: My expectations were week exceeded It was my first and best experience Leslie   03/15/2021 02:51:51 PM PDT
Other Teams - How would you rate the customer service of the other teams (Pilots, Video Editors, Packers, Management, etc.)?  Excellent Leslie   03/15/2021 02:51:51 PM PDT
Other Teams - How would you rate the customer service of the other teams (Pilots, Video Editors, Packers, Management, etc.)?  Excellent Sandra   03/15/2021 12:38:51 PM PDT
Comments: Kelly was my instructor and he was absolutely awesome I loved the way he treated me and my husband he was so nice and super outgoing made me feel safe and had a smile all the time. For sure coming back with him and recommending to my family friends Leslie   03/15/2021 02:51:51 PM PDT
Office Team - How would you rate the Office Team's level of customer service on the phone (Initial inquiry, scheduling, weather checks, etc.)?   Excellent Leslie   03/15/2021 02:51:51 PM PDT
Office Team - How would you rate the Office Team's level of customer service on the phone (Initial inquiry, scheduling, weather checks, etc.)?   Excellent Sandra   03/15/2021 12:38:51 PM PDT
Personal Instructor - How would you rate your personal instructor's level of customer service? Excellent Leslie   03/15/2021 02:51:51 PM PDT
Personal Instructor - How would you rate your personal instructor's level of customer service? Excellent Sandra   03/15/2021 12:38:51 PM PDT
Tell us your story!  What made you decide to skydive?  What was your experience like?  What were the most memorable parts of your experience at Skydive Snohomish?  How were your interactions with our staff?  Will you do another skydive?  Tell us about your skydive experience for a chance to win a FREE TANDEM SKYDIVE!  By submitting your story, you authorize Skydive Snohomish to use your comments for marketing purposes. I’ve always wanted to skydive and last year I couldn’t due to COVID but this year my husband surprised me for my birthday and booked my appointment.’y experience was so awesome and the best part was being able to drive around the parachute. The staff was so nice and welcoming I will for sure be coming back soon. My instructor was the best made me feel super safe and always made me smile. I love to do adventurous stuff and this topped it Leslie   03/15/2021 02:51:51 PM PDT
Tell us your story!  What made you decide to skydive?  What was your experience like?  What were the most memorable parts of your experience at Skydive Snohomish?  How were your interactions with our staff?  Will you do another skydive?  Tell us about your skydive experience for a chance to win a FREE TANDEM SKYDIVE!  By submitting your story, you authorize Skydive Snohomish to use your comments for marketing purposes. Great experience! Mike was super nice and helpful and made me feel safe throughout the skydive. Thanks! Sandra   03/15/2021 12:38:51 PM PDT
Instructional Team - How would you rate the level of customer service of the Instructional Team as a whole? Excellent Leslie   03/15/2021 02:51:51 PM PDT
Instructional Team - How would you rate the level of customer service of the Instructional Team as a whole? Excellent Sandra   03/15/2021 12:38:51 PM PDT
Comments: Everyone was super nice Leslie   03/15/2021 02:51:51 PM PDT
Overall Experience - How did your overall experience meet your expectations?  Far Exceeded Leslie   03/15/2021 02:51:51 PM PDT
Overall Experience - How did your overall experience meet your expectations?  Far Exceeded Sandra   03/15/2021 12:38:51 PM PDT
Office Team - How would you rate the Office Team's level of customer service in person (Greeting upon arrival, responses to questions, check-in, payment, etc.)?  Excellent Leslie   03/15/2021 02:51:51 PM PDT
Office Team - How would you rate the Office Team's level of customer service in person (Greeting upon arrival, responses to questions, check-in, payment, etc.)?  Excellent Sandra   03/15/2021 12:38:51 PM PDT
Comments: It was great they called me to reschedule my first appointment due to weather. Very nice Leslie   03/15/2021 02:51:51 PM PDT
Comments: Everyone was awesome and super nice Leslie   03/15/2021 02:51:51 PM PDT
Top Answer
Caitlin_M
Administrator

Hi all. There were a few requests here with how survey page results are displayed after exporting. Please view the attached article that shows examples of survey reporting so you can select the appropriate export for your needs.

We made changes to survey exports. When exporting all responses to CSV, the results display in the format shown below so you can easily see how a contact answered your survey questions, including their comments. Does this layout help to review your survey results in a more effective manner? If you are looking for an additional display of survey results, a visual could help so we can best understand what would most help you.

Caitlin_M_0-1667332134466.png

31 Comments
CampFireFW
Rookie
Hello, Is there a way to export responses in the "new" format more like the "old" format? Specifically, the text responses being organized under the question vs by the respondent. I do see that I can drill into each question, but I want to export it all for sharing and evaluation without having to download and format every question. The new exporting functions are lacking significantly in this area. Any guidance appreciated.
Frankie_P

Hi @CampFireFW we apologize this design of reporting export has not yet been carried over to our updated survey campaigns. It is however a feature request we are collecting feedback on. In fact we have merged your post into a larger thread focused on this feature.

GlobalP2
Campaign Collaborator

VERY DISATISFIED - The new survey update makes me want to cancel Constant Contact. It lost a lot of value. 

- Radio style questions 

- If/then style questions

- pages

- progress bar

- Survey results - used to be able to see incomplete surveys. Often people would finish the survey but not hit submit. Now I cant see those. 

MikeR21
Rookie

Your new survey system is really lacking a lot of features. The legacy system was FAR superior. The export feature for the survey seems to put the questions in a random order and not in the order they are entered in the survey. There are no real analytics and you cannot not even print out a decent copy of the completed survey. I changed from using  to Constant Contact last year. Now I wish I didn't switch.

JohnM03
Campaign Collaborator

What a 'pile of crap' the new version of Survey Tool is with regard to exporting results!  As I look at the comments above, folks have been complaining about it since March.  Is nobody from Constant Contact paying attention?  Why was 'Legacy' replaced?  Exporting to EXCEL was so beautiful and efficient!  I will call the Help Desk AGAIN to complain.  Folks are pleasant and polite, but issues are NOT being taken seriously (OBVIOUSLY) because this could/should have been fixed months ago.  Seriously, Constant Contact, SINCE MARCH THIS HAS BEEN AN ISSUE!!!!!! Can Legacy not be put back into service, until you fix this (so-called) 'new and improved' version?   John M., long time user. 

AnnaS08
Campaign Expert

At least it is reassuring to know I am not alone in thinking the new Survey Feature's reporting is useless.  If anyone has found another vendor of software that will give results similar to the former Legacy product I would really appreciate hearing about it - provided it doesn't cost an arm and a leg of course!

ChamberWells
Constant Contact Partner

I have used the survey export feature for 11 years. Although there was some manipulation that needed to be done in excel, it was easy to do. Now that the survey feature has been updated and exporting information in excel has now created triple the amount of work that needs to be done to get the document to be readable. This is not acceptable. The pdf feature looks amazing; however, it only shows partial responses. What is the purpose? You create a survey to get all responses and why would one only want partial information? That does not make any sense. This feature needs to be fixed to be user friendly. I just can't get over how bad the exported information in excel looks. Hours of work ahead of us to get all of our surveys to be readable. Very frustrating.

Frankie_P

Hi @ChamberWells

How would you expect for your exported results to display in excel?

ChamberWells
Constant Contact Partner

The way it exports now the information is in columns, making the document long. It would be helpful to have the information download similar to how the survey is laid out. Rows would be helpful at this point.

Question:

Rating below (if numeric)

Question:

Comment

Comment

Comment

etc.

The pdf is amazing how it looks; however, the comments only show about 3. I had about 15 comments in an open-ended question and now have to download and cut and paste into another document to capture that information. Now I am looking at a pdf (3 pages) and an additional page for comments. A lot of cutting and pasting. It worked how it was set up before the changes were made. I had to cut and paste the comments from the 2nd worksheet in Excel, but I could easily go back and forth to sheet 1 (in the same workbook) because the questions were listed. In the end, it should an easy 8.5x11 document to print. If that does not make sense, I can email you what it used to show.

Thank you for asking! I really appreciate it.

Caitlin_M
Administrator
Status changed to: Gathering Information

Hi all. There were a few requests here with how survey page results are displayed after exporting. Please view the attached article that shows examples of survey reporting so you can select the appropriate export for your needs.

We made changes to survey exports. When exporting all responses to CSV, the results display in the format shown below so you can easily see how a contact answered your survey questions, including their comments. Does this layout help to review your survey results in a more effective manner? If you are looking for an additional display of survey results, a visual could help so we can best understand what would most help you.

Caitlin_M_0-1667332134466.png

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More