Q&A: How to Find and Engage Your Prospective Customers Online

Caitlin_M
Administrator

In today’s world, it’s not enough for prospective customers to simply find you online. You need to capture their attention and then engage them to first turn them into customers and then eventually into loyal, repeat customers. 

We're taking the most popular questions from our latest webinar and expanding upon them so you can better understand how to rethink your social media efforts to get the engagement that drives results and drives business to your website.

You can view the webinar directly through Wistia or right here on the Blog!

Have a question left over from the webinar? Leave us a comment below.

Is there a way to combine what I’m already doing in my Constant Contact account with my social media marketing? SMS Marketing 

If you’re already present in two (or three) social media channels, it’s a great idea to try to combine them together as part of your overall marketing strategy. This is certainly the case with social media marketing and email marketing. We suggest including a social follow block in your campaigns to have your contacts be aware of your presence on social media and let them easily follow you there. 

Let’s look the other way too. How can you get your followers to join your mailing list? They may not be aware that you have a newsletter or you’re sending out messages through email! Sharing your emails on your social media channels is a quick way to accomplish this. The URL for a campaign includes a Join My Mailing List button for your followers to join your list. If you aren’t ready to share your emails just yet, create a Lead Generation Landing Page and share the URL in your posts.

What if I don't have a social media page or website yet? Social Media 

A web presence is crucial for a small business. Building a website allows potential customers or clients discover you online and for you to grow your business. If you’re not ready to launch a website, social media is key. Luckily, we have a guide to building your brand on social media.

If you don't have a social media presence yet or you're not ready to take that step, your best bet is a landing pageKeep it simple, clean, clear, and uncluttered. Show off who you are. The more you put on that lead generation landing page, the more confusing it can be and can be counterproductive to them taking that single step to sign up for your mailing list.

What times are best for posting on social media?

There isn’t a one-size-fits-all answer to this. The best time to post will vary based on your audience’s preferences, the platform you’re using, and more. Luckily, you’ll be able to figure out the best days and times for you to post relatively easily using social media insights. 

Experiment with different days and times when posting, then use your social media metrics to see what days and times tend to achieve the highest numbers for reach, impressions, and engagements.

How do I genuinely connect with prospective customers on social media without sounding sales-y? I find it can turn some people off.

Building genuine connections with prospective customers on social media is all about authenticity and providing value. For example, act as a resource beyond simply promoting and selling your product/services. Are there larger discussions you can have with your audience or tips/tricks you can share?

If you have a personal LinkedIn account, how are questions and polls then connected back to your business identity? Same with Facebook and Instagram.

Poll creation and responses will be found directly through Linked In, Instagram, and Facebook.

*Any links we provide from non-Constant Contact sites or information about non-Constant Contact products or services are provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as an endorsement by Constant Contact.

We know on social media followers like to be rewarded with freebies such as giveaways. How effective are giveaways and how often should they be run?

This is a great idea! We’ve seen several businesses generate good, consistent engagement just because they know that giveaways are happening. Start by thinking about what you're able to do and manage. Make it consistent based on the value of what you're giving away. More expensive means you'd likely want to do it less frequently. But make it consistent and encourage winners to share something about what they won. You can then reshare that and mention how they engaged to be entered to win.

What are your thoughts about when to include pricing information about your products? Should I include prices in the initial emails, or make potential customers follow a link and dig a bit so they are led to my website?

Depending on what you're selling, test some things out. It makes sense if you have a discount/offer going on. But if you have a nurture email, you can encourage them to click to see prices, especially if you have something with different pricing or packages.

Getting them to click means you have their interest. It could be a great idea to follow up with them to seal the deal.

I work in an industry that has a lot of competitors who offer similar services to mine. How do I become a premier and preferred provider? 

Think about the value you're providing. Make sure you're providing helpful information and making your marketing feel personal. 

You may be able to connect with someone to see if there are opportunities or what they are looking for to become a preferred provider as well. If they give you the opportunity, you may need to have a good list of testimonials/reviews to stand out from the crowd. But make sure your online presence is in tip-top shape.

Share behind-the-scenes glimpses of your business, introduce your team members, and showcase the personality behind your brand (if applicable). This humanizes your business and makes it easier for people to connect with you on a personal level.

Pay attention to what your audience is saying on social media. Monitor mentions, tags, and comments related to your brand. Respond promptly and thoughtfully, showing that you value their feedback and opinions.

What can I do to keep the momentum going with potential clients who want to do business with me?

Leads should be acted on right away while you have their interest. An automated welcome series is an easy way to keep the momentum going without you needing to lift a finger. Continue the conversation right away by sending an instant "thank you" email and letting them know what they should expect going forward. Follow up with them a few days later to continue the conversation, inviting them to connect over social media or point them toward your website to learn more about your business.

My business is geared towards a younger audience. What channels should I be focusing on?

It depends on what product/service you’re trying to promote, but generally, younger people watch a lot of videos and consume imagery so platforms like Instagram or YouTube work great.

Do features like reporting or access to automation vary across accounts?

You can view your available plans and their included features within your account by going to Plans & Pricing. If you have further questions, please contact our Billing team.

1 Comment

Resources

Marketing Digest

Check out marketing advice, tips, and tricks. All from our Constant Contact experts

Visit the blog

Support Tips

Social Media

"There's a multitude of ways to engage your audience through us using your social platforms - via ads, social post metrics, email links, and more! " - Will

See Article

Support Tips

Call-To-Action Links

"Target your most engaged contacts by creating a segment. Create a special offer or show your appreciation!" - Caitlin

See Article

Support Tips

Welcome Your Audience

"Greet new contacts with one or more automated Welcome Emails depending on their interests or your business goals." - Nick

See Article