Building Segments using "OR" when adding new criteria

BrianJ557
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

Trying to build a segment using an existing segment (in this case "Most Engaged") OR a tag.

CC will only allow an "AND" operator when adding new criteria to the segment.

Really need "OR". Any workarounds?

Top Answer
William_A
Administrator

Hello @BrianJ557 ,

Since contact engagement is under the "Contact Activity" type for segmentation, and Tags are their own separate type, they will only be able to exist in a segmentation with an AND relationship. OR relationships only work within the same type (i.e. Contact Activity > most engaged OR least engaged).

For more info on creating segments

A potential workaround would be to add the separate segments (one for most engaged, the other for your tag), and add them to a singular list. You can also accomplish this by simply searching for all contacts with the tag, select-all, then add those to the applicable list, if you don't want to make a separate segment for them with that sole criteria.

2 REPLIES 2
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @BrianJ557 ,

Since contact engagement is under the "Contact Activity" type for segmentation, and Tags are their own separate type, they will only be able to exist in a segmentation with an AND relationship. OR relationships only work within the same type (i.e. Contact Activity > most engaged OR least engaged).

For more info on creating segments

A potential workaround would be to add the separate segments (one for most engaged, the other for your tag), and add them to a singular list. You can also accomplish this by simply searching for all contacts with the tag, select-all, then add those to the applicable list, if you don't want to make a separate segment for them with that sole criteria.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
BrianJ557
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

Thanks, I appreciate the quick response. The nice part about segments is that they dynamically update or are refreshable. Tags don't. Lists don't. While I intuitively understand your engineering explanation, there's a solution and CC just have decide whether it's worth it to re-engineer to make that work. I've been in tech far too long to know that there's always a solution.  Researching the comments there are several others who have the same issue. I tagged the current Most Engaged and used tags instead of segments. 

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Polls
How confident are you about the effectiveness of your current marketing strategy?

Top Choice: Not confident at all (63%)

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
Jun 05
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST