I need help importing contacts from an excel spreadsheet into constant contact

SOLVED
Go to solution
GordonM561
Rookie
0 Votes

I am trying to import a contact list from excel into constant contact and need some help. Everything I've tried so far hasn't worked.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @GordonM561 ,

Make sure you've formatted the contact file properly, so it can be imported into your account. The main points people tend to overlook are:

• Making sure at least the first several rows for the contacts' email addresses actually has email addresses in it. If the first 10 rows of email addresses are completely blank, the system will view the document as not having any viable email addresses, which is an absolute baseline requirement for contacts imported into accounts. Or, if you just have a fully blank first row, with the identifying columns (first name, email, etc.) further down it can also cause it to error out.
  • Make sure you have your contacts on a single page/tab/sheet in the file. If your first sheet is a title page (as some CRM exports may include), or if your contacts are spread across multiple sheets, you'll need to combine them all into the first sheet or import those sheets as separate files.
  • Make sure your file is 2 MB (~40k contacts) or smaller. If you're trying to import a larger file / list, I'd advise breaking it up into smaller files.

If you still cannot get your contact file to import properly, I'd advise calling our general support for further assistance. Another option is replying to the automated @ mention email you receive from my response, with the contact file attached so we can see what the issue might be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @GordonM561 ,

Make sure you've formatted the contact file properly, so it can be imported into your account. The main points people tend to overlook are:

• Making sure at least the first several rows for the contacts' email addresses actually has email addresses in it. If the first 10 rows of email addresses are completely blank, the system will view the document as not having any viable email addresses, which is an absolute baseline requirement for contacts imported into accounts. Or, if you just have a fully blank first row, with the identifying columns (first name, email, etc.) further down it can also cause it to error out.
  • Make sure you have your contacts on a single page/tab/sheet in the file. If your first sheet is a title page (as some CRM exports may include), or if your contacts are spread across multiple sheets, you'll need to combine them all into the first sheet or import those sheets as separate files.
  • Make sure your file is 2 MB (~40k contacts) or smaller. If you're trying to import a larger file / list, I'd advise breaking it up into smaller files.

If you still cannot get your contact file to import properly, I'd advise calling our general support for further assistance. Another option is replying to the automated @ mention email you receive from my response, with the contact file attached so we can see what the issue might be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Polls
How confident are you about the effectiveness of your current marketing strategy?
Upcoming Webinars
Jun 05
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST