Opened AND Undeliverable

SherryF724
Campaign Contributor

I have email addresses showing in my Bounced list as Undeliverable. But they are also showing in my reporting as having opened my email. How can it be both?

Top Answer
William_A
Administrator

Hello @SherryF724 ,

It means that when we attempted to deliver the email, the receiving network bounced it back with a message of "undeliverable." However undeliverable as a bounce category can be temporary, if the network later lets the email go through. Additionally, if the contact is using a spam filter or other security program that downloads images and clicks links to check for malware, then bounces the email back, it can also result in this mixed reporting.

I'd advise going over our main article on managing bounces, and check the contact's engagement history to see if this would've been a one-time fluke or a regular pattern with them. It'd likely be worth checking out if any other contacts with the same domain had similar reporting discrepancies in your email's reporting. If it's a regular pattern, then it may be worth removing them as contacts to prevent further issues with reporting. If this has only happened with the contact(s) once, then I'd advise writing it off as a one-time communication issue with their network or security programs. 

2 REPLIES 2
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @SherryF724 ,

It means that when we attempted to deliver the email, the receiving network bounced it back with a message of "undeliverable." However undeliverable as a bounce category can be temporary, if the network later lets the email go through. Additionally, if the contact is using a spam filter or other security program that downloads images and clicks links to check for malware, then bounces the email back, it can also result in this mixed reporting.

I'd advise going over our main article on managing bounces, and check the contact's engagement history to see if this would've been a one-time fluke or a regular pattern with them. It'd likely be worth checking out if any other contacts with the same domain had similar reporting discrepancies in your email's reporting. If it's a regular pattern, then it may be worth removing them as contacts to prevent further issues with reporting. If this has only happened with the contact(s) once, then I'd advise writing it off as a one-time communication issue with their network or security programs. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
SherryF724
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

Thanks for the quick reply.  It would be great if Constant Contact could detect that it went through and remove it from my Bounced list. It makes it difficult to use the reporting since I have to double-check every one.

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Polls
How confident are you about the effectiveness of your current marketing strategy?

Top Choice: Not confident at all (67%)

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
Jun 05
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST
Jun 06
Maximize Your Marketing Impact with Vimeo & Constant Contact
2PM - 3PM EST
Jun 27
Boost Your Email Results with Segmentation & Personalization
2PM - 3PM EST