Announcing our brand new Campaign Builder!

Suspended Email Users

SOLVED
Go to solution
RobDeFrancesco
Rookie
0 Votes

What is the best strategy for suspended email accounts? Or what have you found that works well for them? I was thinking 1) either add them to the bounce list since we know that they have bounced non-stop for the last two weeks of sending OR 2) create a separate list for suspended email accounts and track where things go from there. I know those email addresses are technically still working, but two straight weeks of not sending them doesn't really sound like they are working to me. What have you all done?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @RobDeFrancesco ,

Contacts become suspended when our system receives a non-existent bounce report from the receiving network or email program. After enough of these bounces, whether it's you or someone else using our system to send to that address, our system will set the address to "suspended."

If you believe these contacts are actually viable, you're welcome to try unsuspending them in your account, and resend / quicksend to them. If we get another non-existent bounce report, they'll go back into suspension. If you're needing a very large number of them unsuspended in bulk, then I'd recommend speaking with our Delivery team so they can do a mass unsuspend and collect info on why so many allegedly viable contacts bounced as non-existent enough to trigger suspension.  

If you're less interested in unsuspending them, so much as simply archiving them, then I'd honestly recommend exporting them, and either uploading that export file as an unsubscribe import or delete them from your account entirely. If they remain in your account, then they'll still be contributing to your account's active, billable contacts. Exporting them will allow you to maintain a XLS or CSV file with their info in your own system. Unsubscribing them will allow them to remain in your account, but set them as inactive type so they don't contribute toward your billable total. Only deleting them will simply remove them from your account, but allow them to be easily re-uploaded as an active contact back into your account, regardless of whether the bounce has been addressed.

See also:

Managing bounced contacts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @RobDeFrancesco ,

Contacts become suspended when our system receives a non-existent bounce report from the receiving network or email program. After enough of these bounces, whether it's you or someone else using our system to send to that address, our system will set the address to "suspended."

If you believe these contacts are actually viable, you're welcome to try unsuspending them in your account, and resend / quicksend to them. If we get another non-existent bounce report, they'll go back into suspension. If you're needing a very large number of them unsuspended in bulk, then I'd recommend speaking with our Delivery team so they can do a mass unsuspend and collect info on why so many allegedly viable contacts bounced as non-existent enough to trigger suspension.  

If you're less interested in unsuspending them, so much as simply archiving them, then I'd honestly recommend exporting them, and either uploading that export file as an unsubscribe import or delete them from your account entirely. If they remain in your account, then they'll still be contributing to your account's active, billable contacts. Exporting them will allow you to maintain a XLS or CSV file with their info in your own system. Unsubscribing them will allow them to remain in your account, but set them as inactive type so they don't contribute toward your billable total. Only deleting them will simply remove them from your account, but allow them to be easily re-uploaded as an active contact back into your account, regardless of whether the bounce has been addressed.

See also:

Managing bounced contacts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Polls
How confident are you about the effectiveness of your current marketing strategy?

Top Choice: Not confident at all (74%)

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
Jun 05
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST