Why did you start your small business?

Dallas_W
Employee

Tamika Catchings, owner of Tea’s Me Cafe Indy, shed some light on what inspired her decision to start her business. “I didn't get into it to get rich. I got into it because of the community and … to bring people together and build this”, she said.

What inspired you to start your small business?

29 REPLIES 29
DonnaD72
Campaign Collaborator
CMC946
Campaign Collaborator

Actually, my account is for the Chicago Center of Self-Realization Fellowship and we just use it for announcement and an occasional survey.

TaraM7
Rookie

We were asked by customers to offer digital business cards as a service and it's been going great ever since.  We started our printing company with the idea of helping people grow their businesses and digital business cards also support that.  It is nice seeing people succeed and flourish professionally.  

RazielA6
Rookie

When I was about 5-6 years old, my favorite toy was the fisher price cash register.   It dings when ever you hit the cash out button and I remember pretending to have a mini store in my room.  I would check out pretend produce and items that my little brother or my babysitter would buy.  I knew I wanted to be an entrepreneur back then but didn't give it much thought on how and when.   So I went the route of education till college and post college and didn't feel like I knew what I really wanted in life till a medical situation made me stay home with my toddler son.   I had to find a way to earn money while staying home and found a portable pad printer that can do a lot of printed promo stuff at a trade show.   It was a way for so much creativity and after 17+ years we're still going at it.   It became a great way for me to be immersed in the communities I serve.  I wouldn't change a thing though the ups and downs of 2-3 recessions.

catherinem0099
Campaign Expert

I'm a painter/artist and knew I would need a website to share my work.  It was from that perspective that my small business began. I have a lot of experience in retail management and have always liked the idea of being an entrepreneur.  I gained a lot of valuable skills for marketing and selling my paintings from my experience in retail. 

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Polls
How confident are you about the effectiveness of your current marketing strategy?

Top Choice: Not confident at all (79%)

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
Jun 05
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST