Why does segment processing take so much more time than before?

SeanK260
Marketing Legend
Anyone having this issue with segments? Contact segments used to take maximum 3 minutes to refresh for the last 4 years. Now every single segment takes more than 30 minutes, ten times longer! I've opened multiple tickets and called support several times. It hasn't changed. I have 10k LESS contacts than I had last year after a major purge, so it doesn't seem to be number of contacts. Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce the time it takes?
14 REPLIES 14
SeanK260
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

My segments used to take maximum 3 minutes to refresh. Now it is 30 minutes. I actually have 10k LESS contacts than I had last year after a major purge, so it's not number of contacts.

Segments are totally unusable in their current state. What the heck is going on?

Caitlin_M
Administrator

Hi @SeanK260. If you delete and recreate the segment, does it populate within a few minutes or are you still seeing a loading message?

--

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
DebraG442
Constant Contact Partner

This needs to be HIGH priority. We have had segments "processing" for several days. This is messing up our entire email marketing schedule. We have emails go unsent because they are not working and now we are totally off on our schedule

SeanK260
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

This is killing us as well. We went from waiting 45 minutes for a segment to process to them being completely broken. I can see that our recent campaigns sent duplicate emails to multiple contacts because the segments for "no emails sent in the last 7 days" are not working.

SeanK260
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

Hi Caitlin, thanks for your help with this.

I created a brand new segment to test this. The segment was the simplest I could make it: include contacts that are on one contact list. I included no other filters.

It's been now processing for 12 minutes. This is something that took less than 30 seconds a few months ago. Anything you can do to help will be appreciated.

Sean

Screenshot 2024-04-03 153051.png

Caitlin_M
Administrator

Hi @SeanK260. I spoke with our advanced support team and they are actively investigating the issue. There isn't any information to share at this time in regards to a date when a fix could be implemented so until then, there is an increased wait time for the segment to be created and populate with contacts.

--

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
SeanK260
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

Thank you very much Caitlin, it's  helpful just to have this acknowledged as a problem. In my previous requests for support it feels like it wasn't seen as a real issue (maybe because it works eventually) but it's having a major impact on our processes.

Thanks again,

Sean Kennedy

SeanK260
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

Not sure if it helps but I'm seeing new records today:

NewRecord.png

In an email campaign you can't send to a segment that is still processing, so this slows the whole process down.

I read that "The segment refreshes before each send, ensuring that you're reaching the most current group of contacts that meet your criteria." - Does this mean that when I click send the segment refreshes, checking the criteria at the moment of sending? If so it's doing those refreshes a lot faster than the creation or manual update times.

That came from: https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/email-digital-marketing/articles/KnowledgeBase/25205-Defin...

Thank you,

Sean

Caitlin_M
Administrator
0 Votes

Hi @SeanK260. Good question. The segment would still be in a processing mode so it wouldn't be able to update at the moment of sending.

--

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
SeanK260
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

Hi Caitlin, we are really struggling here. Segments haven't worked at all now for three days. Is there an ETA for a fix?

We are now getting reports that our contacts are getting multiple emails from us because the "hasn't been sent an mail in 7 days" segment filter is not working at all. I've got segments in "processing" for 12 hours, but the end result is not correct even when they finish.

We can't use Constant Contact without this functionality. This crucial feature has been getting worse now for three weeks and there have been no results from CC support despite me contacting phone and chat support a dozen times.

I'm tired of accumulating forum support badges because nothing is getting done.

KristinS
Rookie

Right now, mine is taking over an hour to segment 18 names from a list of 85. I could've done it manually by now.

STARRS-23
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

I've now waited 7 hours and the Segment pulling a tag still shows no contacts in it, even though I checked and contacts have that tag. A previous segment still doesn't not show the new contacts I added to another tag and it's been 10 hours. When I am about the send an email, I click on Refresh Count multiple times but it still says "0 Recipients — Last Refreshed: 7 hours ago". Frustrating.

STARRS-23
Campaign Contributor

UPDATE: I was under a time crunch to send an email out with meeting information that day. I contacted support and they were unable to fix the problem but offered a temporary work around. They turned the segment into a list so I was able to send it out in time. By the way, the segments I had created are still not populated with the right number of recipients even thought it's now been well over 36 hours. All I did was ask it to send an email to only the people who had a certain Tag, nothing complex. Hope CC can fix Segments soon. I have other clients who use Segments.

SeanK260
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

Segments are still not working well but I thought I'd provide my feedback regarding your issues since I may have relevant experience.

We used to use tags and one day they stopped working in segments and never worked again. I think this might be the issue you are running into. Here's a bunch of people talking about it: https://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Questions-Discussions/Segments-using-tags-stopped-working/m...

Another thing that might be relevant is that if you use the "no email sent in the last 7 days" filter in segments but haven't sent ANY emails in the last 7 days it will return 0 contacts. It's counter intuitive but the "no emails in the last x days" filters require there to be at least one thing sent during their timeframe to actually work. It's like it needs something to exclude and if it doesn't have that it excludes everything.

I often have to send the same email from multiple email address since I'm working on behalf of many people, so the way I get around this limitation is by sending one campaign using a normal list, then for subsequent campaigns I switching to using segments with "no email sent in the last 7 days." This process prevents duplicate emails being sent to the same contact from different senders.

Good luck!

Sean

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
May 01
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST