Announcing Campaign Builder!

facebook link not always connecting

Solve
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

My social icons are at the bottom of my emails and they are all connected, however, the facebook icon does not always work. When the email is sent and the facebook icon is clicked, facebook comes up, but this message is delivered: "This content isn't available right now." What could be the issue here? Our FB account is public, and the link works when pasting it directly into the browser, just not always when clicking the icon on the e-mail. Thank you for any guidance!

6 REPLIES 6
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @Solve ,

Is there any consistency to this issue - such as when the link is accessed in certain email clients / apps, or on particular networks? Are you running any particular VPNs, pop-up/ad blockers, or other security software that would interfere with how Facebook registers the site access?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
Solve
Campaign Collaborator

When in preview mode on the campaign editor, the facebook icon does not connect at all, whether viewing in desktop or mobile mode. When I send a test e-mail or send an actual e-mail, the facebook link does not work on mobile at all, regardless of the device or if it's viewed in Chrome or Safari. We've tried multiple people's devices. On desktop, it does work for me in Safari. I am not sure if it works for other people on desktop or not. There are no ad blockers on our mobile phones as we can easily connect to other Facebook accounts. The Instagram icon works fine. It's just FB that doesn't work for some reason.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

What is the exact error message you're receiving? The only time I get any kind of error page, it's specifically Facebook's when I try to access the link in incognito/private mode without being logged into Facebook first. If your page is set to not be visible without being logged in first, that might explain the discrepancy in devices and networks.

I checked the link in preview mode in your account, as well as on my work device with our work VPN running. I also checked the link on my phone, and it opened when accessed via the test sent to my work address, as well as the test sent to my personal address. The only time I got any error was specifically when Facebook pushed back because I wasn't logged in while trying to view in incognito. Once I'd logged into Facebook, I could access the link as expected.

William A
Solve
Campaign Collaborator

Ok I think I understand part of this. The error message is the following: "This content isn't available right now. When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been deleted. Go to news feed / go back."  I see now that I was not logged into FB on my phone, so that makes sense. However, I am logged in on my desktop, yet I cannot click the FB link in preview mode without getting this error.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Then it means there's some other error occurring on the Facebook side. Since the error message is specifically Facebook's, and not a general connectivity error provided by us or your browser / network, then it means some other aspect of your desktop setup or login is preventing you from being able to see that page.

If you continue to encounter the error and cannot resolve it on your own, then I'd advise contacting Facebook's support. I can even type out the page's raw URL on my devices while not logged in, and access the page once I log in - indicating something between that one particular device of yours and Facebook is not working together.

William A
Solve
Campaign Collaborator

I will do that. Thank you! You've been very helpful!

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Polls
How confident are you about the effectiveness of your current marketing strategy?

Top Choice: Not confident at all (77%)

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
Jun 05
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST