"Technical difficulties" with Sign-up Form

user812914
Rookie
0 Votes

Hi there, We created a sign-up form and have emailed the link out to folks who we know directly (i.e. "Sign up here to be notified about xyz"). The link we're sharing is the one generated by the Constant Contact sign-up form. We've heard from a few individuals that when they click on the form link, they get a "We're experiencing technical difficulties. Sorry for the inconvenience!" message, and the form doesn't load. Others have been able to sign up without issue, so we know this isn't happening to everyone. Does anyone have an idea of what's causing this and how to fix it? Thank you in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @user812914 ,

Do you know if the users encountering issues are running any VPNs or ad/pop-up blockers that might interfere with the email click or landing page visit tracking?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
user812914
Rookie
0 Votes

Hi William, 

Thanks for your response. Many of our clients are within higher education institutions, so it's very possible they are using VPNs. 

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

It may be worth asking if they're able to access the link on their mobile devices, or just by using the raw link - rather than the click tracked one in an email.

If they are able to load that up, then that'll confirm their ITs would need to safelist our domains, or they'll need to access links sent through us outside of their school's system. 

William A
user812914
Rookie
0 Votes

One of the users said she couldn't access the link while working from home and she was not connected to her VPN. I had another user try to access the link on her cell and it wouldn't work for her there either, although I think she was still connected to her school's wi-fi (but I'm not positive about that). 

I'm not sure what you mean by "raw link" vs. "click-tracked one." I emailed both individuals directly from my personal email account and included the Landing Page URL from the form in CC. And they both got the technical difficulties message when they tried to open the link. 

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Based on that information, the issue is more to do with something on their end blocking the actual landing page's link, not explicitly the rewritten link that's actually sent in emails. 

We've received occasional reports about this, but the sporadic nature of it has made it hard to actually pin down what's causing it.

If you're able @user812914 , I'd advise calling general support, and mentioning that exact error message. By calling in, you can also securely provide example contacts that are experiencing the issue so our technical teams can dig deeper. Otherwise, you can reply directly to the @ mention email you receive from my response, with the following info:

• the name of the affected sign up form(s)
  • the email addresses of the affected contacts

William A
user812914
Rookie
0 Votes

Ok thank you for your help!

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
JUN 27
Boost Your Email Results with Segmentation & Personalization
2PM - 3PM EST
JUL 10
Getting Started with the Constant Contact Community
2PM - 3PM EST