How to let users manage their subscriptions

SOLVED
Go to solution
HopeandCope
Marketing Legend
0 Votes
Hi, While reviewing our contact list, I realized that there are many people in our contacts list that are subscribe to none of our lists. I want to change that. What I'm thinking of doing is sending a series of emails to all the people in our list who are subscribed to nothing and ask them to: - Subscribe to the lists that interest them - Unsubscribe to our systems My questions: Q1: How many emails should I send? I'm thinking three. 1) Hey! We noticed you aren't subscribed. Please review your subscriptions by clicking this link. 2) Yo! You might have missed our previous email. You can review the information by clicking here! 3) Final email! If you still want to get emails from us, you have to click here. Otherwise, we will delete your email from our database (not that they are getting anything, mind you...) Q2: How do I give them access to a subscription management page? On the page, I want to list all the email lists we have, with a short description of the list's purpose and frequency of communication. I also want an option that says "Please unsubscribe me from everything and remove my email from your list." How do I do this 👆🏽? Q3: The number of emails we will be sending out is greater than what we normally send. Will this cause a problem with deliverability? Thanks, L
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Kyle_R
Administrator
0 Votes

Hi @HopeandCope ,
Very interesting, it sounds like your approach is methodical and mindful of your contacts inboxes. We'll start with your questions and add a few thoughts.

Q1 - There's no hard rule on how many emails to send and it could vary by audience. That said, 3 emails doesn't sound unreasonable at all. We'd recommend just keeping an eye on your reporting. If the first email generates quite a bit of spam complaints, consider changing the strategy or the message a bit.

Q2 - Take a look at this article on the Update Profile feature. If turned on, it will live in the footer (unfortunately you can't add a link within the body of the email) and provide a flow very similar to what you're wanting. The good thing about the Update Profile form is that you can choose which of your lists you want to show on the page. Some lists may be internal only or would be named in a way that isn't meant to be public facing. This form also allows for the option to unsubscribe. An added bonus is you can also optionally allow the updating of their profile information such as name, title, phone number, etc if you so choose.

Q3 - The increased number of emails should not cause issues with deliverability, with the caveat that increased spam reports could effect your sender reputation which could have some delivery consequences.

In your initial email requesting the subscription, it would be a good idea to remind them of your business relationship if it's consistent for all of the contacts. Given that this mailing isn't unsolicited and they may not have heard from you in some time, it would be great to mention that their email was given as part of something like an online purchase, previous business relationship, or however it was collected. It may also be a good idea to let them know what frequency they can expect to hear from you. Some contacts may be interested in signing up, but would be hesitant if they think their inbox will be overrun with communications. I mention adding that to the email since the Update Profile form doesn't allow list descriptions as you mentioned.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Kyle_R
Administrator
0 Votes

Hi @HopeandCope ,
Very interesting, it sounds like your approach is methodical and mindful of your contacts inboxes. We'll start with your questions and add a few thoughts.

Q1 - There's no hard rule on how many emails to send and it could vary by audience. That said, 3 emails doesn't sound unreasonable at all. We'd recommend just keeping an eye on your reporting. If the first email generates quite a bit of spam complaints, consider changing the strategy or the message a bit.

Q2 - Take a look at this article on the Update Profile feature. If turned on, it will live in the footer (unfortunately you can't add a link within the body of the email) and provide a flow very similar to what you're wanting. The good thing about the Update Profile form is that you can choose which of your lists you want to show on the page. Some lists may be internal only or would be named in a way that isn't meant to be public facing. This form also allows for the option to unsubscribe. An added bonus is you can also optionally allow the updating of their profile information such as name, title, phone number, etc if you so choose.

Q3 - The increased number of emails should not cause issues with deliverability, with the caveat that increased spam reports could effect your sender reputation which could have some delivery consequences.

In your initial email requesting the subscription, it would be a good idea to remind them of your business relationship if it's consistent for all of the contacts. Given that this mailing isn't unsolicited and they may not have heard from you in some time, it would be great to mention that their email was given as part of something like an online purchase, previous business relationship, or however it was collected. It may also be a good idea to let them know what frequency they can expect to hear from you. Some contacts may be interested in signing up, but would be hesitant if they think their inbox will be overrun with communications. I mention adding that to the email since the Update Profile form doesn't allow list descriptions as you mentioned.

HopeandCope
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the thorough response. It answers most of my questions. I have another one that I will ask separately.

As part of the first email, yes, I will explain to them why we are sending this email, since they might not have heard from is in a long time. And the business relationship is the same for everyone, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again,

L

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Share your marketing campaign with other small business experts and gather valuable tips and feedback to improve your email newsletters, social campaigns, and more. Add @CTCTHelp to your post and we will share it on social media for additional feedback!