Occasional Advisor
Melisas

Does Constant Contact block Responsive Design Coding?

As analytics show that a major % of our lists are reading their mail via mobile devices we've invested in having a responsive design coder create a series of template that include responsive design to optimize the client's email display. However these templates are not working with our Constant Contact account. After digging around and looking here is the designer's response - I would like to know what Constant Constants response to his comments are before we look at other alternatives.

1- Constant Contact removes the doctype declaration which cause a bug on Webkit browsers making it unable to change the td display from table-cell to block, if you want to understand more about this bug just remove the doctype declaration (first line in the HTML code) then open the page in Google Chrome or any Webkit browser and re-size the windows width you see that issue, if you place the doctype back the bug will be fixed.

2- Constant Contact is not prepared to send responsive email templates, because their default footer which they add at the bottom has fixed width and will effect layout's dimensions, means if template width on iPhone should be 320px the footer width is over 500px with will push the width to be 500px.

I knew CC was behind your competition (Mail Chimp, Campaign Monitor) with advances in mobile friendliness but I had no idea you were actively blocking the programming of mobile friendly emails. Why is this something you are pushing back on when it's clearly the way the industry is going?

CTCT Employee
MinsooL

Re: Does Constant Contact block Responsive Design Coding?

Hello Melisas,

We are actively working towards making our emails responsive--unfortunately at this current point in time, we do not support CSS media queries that would allow this--these styles are removed on send. In the meantime, I know it is not a solution, but we do have several "mobile-friendly" templates available within our email template picker that may be an acceptable choice. Simply query "Mobile" within the template picker search box, or visit the "Type" template filter on that same page to view what is available.

I apologize for the inconvenience; we are working to make our emails truly responsive, and we will update you as soon as this has been accomplished. 

Thank you for using Constant Contact. Have a great day!

Min L.

Associate Product Manager, Email

Constant Contact

Min Lee
Associate Product Manager
Constant Contact
Occasional Advisor
Melisas

In regard to your current templates, we've found them to fairly low quality - for example the render on the ipad is the same as iphone - and the desktop render is very poor. It's not responsive, it's just simple formatting for the smallest possible screen. You are presenting it as if it's an advancement when it's not even a band-aid. It's very hard to understand how this is still an issue as respostive design is quickly becoming industry standard.

It's a difficult answer to believe in the vague answers here when CC has a history of being so very far behind in this area.Do you have a timeline in mind?

Without a solid idea of when this might be available, I'm afraid I have to start looking at other providers who are already there - which is a shame since we've been a customer for many years.  My competitors are sending more sophisticated communications and if I don't keep up, I'll be left behind.

CTCT Employee
MinsooL

Hello Melissa,

Thank you for your feedback with the current templates we have available--I will follow up with my team.

Unfortunately I do not have a specific timeline I can quote for mobile responsiveness--but I can assure you that it is coming. This is most definitely not the answer you are looking for, but I have in the meantime added your account as a possible early access candidate for this coming feature/function.

If possible, I would truly appreciate your feedback when it becomes available for use.

Min L.

Constant Contact

Min Lee
Associate Product Manager
Constant Contact
MikeQ8

Where are the Responsive templates Constant Contact? I control 3 accounts with you and I am not happy with how behind your product is with today's mobile needs. You have to lead the way with Responsive design or why would anyone use your product long term? We must have responsive templates so customers can read their email on their tablets and phones. Your mobile friendly templates are lame and out of date. Please get with the program.

Thank you.

Jeff_G

Hi Mike.

Mobile responsive templates and designing are coming to Constant Contact, but we don't have a timetable for their release yet. They're under development, and we want to make sure we get it right. I'm sorry that we don't have it ready to go right now.

Also, please keep in mind that while our mobile-friendly templates may not be exactly what you are looking for, they can be customized for font sizes and faces, and for colors. They are not a perfect solution, but they are there until the responsive templates are ready.

Jeff Gilson
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Occasional Visitor
MarkP206

Has there been any further progress with this?  We have just joined with CC and I am amazed that you do not support responsive design. Further than that, even if we invest in a responsive template (which we have) I understand that CC will supress it.

This is really not satisfactory and I don't feel inclined to wait around until you get it together to keep up with industry standards.  Please give us a clear indication of your delivery timeline for responsive templates within CC.

Hannah_M
Topics: 201

HI Mark,

Thanks for adding your feedback. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We are working to develop responsive templates in the future but currently I do not have a timeframe for you. We understand that this is a very important feature and I am happy to pass along your feedback. 

We will share any update on this thread as soon as we have it.

Thanks, 

Hannah McClure
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

HoustonZoo

[ Edited ]

This is also something that's very important to us. Our website is responsive, but we can't do responsive with email, which is mostly read on mobile these days. 

***Text Removed by Moderator***

We do not find that Constant Contact's templates are sufficient.

Please put us on your beta test list and let us know when you are planning on rolling this out. If it's within the year, we'll stay. If it's not, that's too long.

Constant Contact is a great service, but it's just tough when things don't keep up with the times!

Thanks!

Marissa_R
Topics: 435
Kudos: 215
Blog Posts: 306
Solutions: 85

Hi Ryan,

We do have mobile friendly templates that you can use currently.  You can find them here

I have also sent you a private message. Please respond via private message if you have any questions.

Hope to see you around the boards!

Marissa Rogers
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"