cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Business Spotlight Tip #1 - Email Marketing Subject Lines

Authorized Local Expert

Earlier this year, I was fortunate enough to be asked to record five radio promos for Constant Contact. It wasn't my first time on the radio, but it was the first time that I actually recorded in a radio studio. I had a blast!

Before I went to the studio to record the promos, I was asked to write five tips that I would give to my clients.

Each promo started off with me telling the radio audience that I teamed up with Constant Contact to bring them the "Small Business Spotlight Tip of the Week." What were the topics? You guessed it, email marketing and social media marketing - two of my favorite subjects.

Maureen Mclain, Clear Channel Media's Midday Host with Romona Foster, Constant Contact Authorized Local Expert

Recently while going through some files on my computer, I found the radio clips that the radio station sent to me. I began listening to them, and thought, 'these would make great blog posts.' So, what you will be reading here is the first in a series of posts that will be short and to the point.

Today's "Small Business Spotlight Tip" will be on Subject Lines, which is often the hardest part about crafting your email marketing campaigns.

Great example of a good subject line: Amazon Email Marketing Campaign Subject Line - Last Chance | 20% Off Already-Reduced Dresses

As a Constant Contact Authorized Local Expert, I have the pleasure of teaching small business owners and nonprofits how to get new customers using online marketing - and what is one of the simplest and most effective tools for small businesses and nonprofits? Email marketing, of course.

Now, let's talk about that scary thing called a subject line. I will make it as painless as possible by using bullets.

• The key to writing a subject line - to get your email read - is to keep it short and to the point.
  • Five to eight words are plenty.
  • Don't try to tease or be mysterious. Just tell them what's in the email and what's in it for them.

Following these tips will get your email opened, read and acted on.

I hope this first tip in the "Small Business Spotlight Tip" helps you when you put together your next email newsletter.

Look out for another tip in the second part of this series - and if you want to learn more about Constant Contact or sign up for a free trial, be sure to check them out at ConstantContact.com. Here's another tip: Skip the free trial and sign up as a paid customer, and if after 30 days you are not satisfied, Constant Contact will give you your money back. As a paid customer you will get access to all of the great features Constant Contact has to offer.

Romona_Foster

Romona Foster is a social media trainer and consultant. She trains groups and individuals on how to use LinkedIn, how to market on Facebook, all about Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Online Marketing, and Personal Branding. She was listed as one of the “best in tech” at DC Web Women’s Code(Her) Conference, and was a guest content strategy speaker for the Code(Her) Conference. Romona has also served as a small business coach at Eleanor Holmes Norton’s Small Business Fair, and has spoken to hundreds of small business owners and nonprofits at other venues. She has conducted workshops for several organizations including “How to Manage Social Media: Dedicating 60 Minutes Per Day” for The Greater Washington Hispanic Chamber of Commerce & Arlington BizLaunch, “How to Market Your Events for Maximum Exposure & Profit” for the National Association of Real Estate Brokers, “Google Partners Connect” for Google, “Leveraging the Power of LinkedIn: Personal Branding for Sales Professionals” for the National Sales Network DC-Baltimore chapter, “Grow Your Business with Email + Social Media” for the DC Chamber of Commerce, “Social Media Marketing Made Simple” at the Microsoft Store, and "Discover the Power of Twitter Tweet-A-Thon Style" for Social Media Week, Washington, DC. She has been featured on WEAA 88.9 FM’s Briefcase Workshop Radio program and has recorded five radio promos on Clear Channel Media + Entertainment’s WASH-FM (97.1) for Constant Contact. Romona is a Constant Contact Authorized Local Expert, certified Social Media Marketing Presenter, Email Marketing Trainer, and an accredited Constant Contact Solution Provider. She is also a two-time recipient of the Constant Contact ALL STAR Award (2012 & 2013).