cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign characters/text support

Occasional Participant

Foreign characters/text support

My non-profit is running a campaign that requires sending emails in Spanish, Arabic, and Bangla. How can I use foreign text/characters in a Contact Contact campaign?

Thanks.

Eric

10 REPLIES
CTCT Employee

Re: Foreign characters/text support

HI @ezuehlke

Thank you for reaching out to the Constant Contact Community. My name is Adrienne and it's my pleasure to assist you today. 

That's a great question. In most cases foreign language text should be able to be inputted exactly the same as your regular English text. While Spanish would be fully supported by email clients, Arabic and Bangla may not be. You can still use the editor to input the text, however, you would just create multiple copies of the email for each language. I hope this helps. If you need further more specific information, you may send us an email to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username, the questions, and a reference to this post. 

Thank you for choosing Constant Contact. Have a great day! 

Adrienne B.
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Occasional Participant

I need to enter text in Hawaiian. Most characters work fine, but I am having trouble with the letter u with a macron over it, which is ū  or ū in html. I can see it correctly on the screen, but Constant Contact is giving me an error message demanding that I remove it. Please help!

CTCT Employee

Hi @ShawnR55,

Thank you for reaching out to us through the Community. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Could you provide a screenshot of the error message that you are receiving after you insert the special character in?

Lucas_D

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing
Occasional Participant

I have the same problem. You should be able to support all defined character codes! I maintain a considerable web site in Honolulu, and can use Hawaiian diacriticals with no problem, but Constant Contact simply won't accept a ū and I see no reason you shouldn't be able to do this!

Occasional Participant

Here is the error message:

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 3.27.57 PM.png

This is a perfectly legal character (after all, you represented it correctly in the error message). It came to me in an email, and I use it extensively in Hawaiian language sections of my web site. Constant Contact should not reject it.  Thanks!

Hi @ShawnR55

Thank you for sharing this screenshot of the error message you're receiving! Did you copy this text from your email and paste it directly into Constant Contact? Copying and pasting can sometimes cause formatting errors in your campaign. I would suggest pasting your text with the foreign language into a converter tool. Once your text has been converted, you can then copy and paste the HTML Character Entities into Constant Contact.

Frankie P.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Occasional Participant

I have tried several things, including typing in the code ū (which should have worked). Constant Contact will simply not accept a u-macron (ū).

CTCT Employee

Hey @ShawnR55

Was this an email that you have made several copies of in the past? Its possible that the HTML code is too broken so it doesn't have the ability to accept the code. If you drag in a new text block and put that code in the new block, does it work? Please let us know so we can keep trouble shooting! 

Desi_B

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Occasional Participant

I do re-use the email, as it's a weekly newsletter that repeats some things plus new articles. However, per your advice I started with a fresh Content block, and got the same result. Strangely, it will accept an o with a macron and an a with a macron, but not a u. I suspect this is a faulty table somewhere.

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!