cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Industry Standard" spam rates

Visitor

"Industry Standard" spam rates

I joined Constant Contact two days ago because my I became convinced that my old "bulk"emailer was causing too many of my messages to be caught in spam filters and not be received by recipients. Everyone email address on my list is from someone who either bought a product from me or downloaded a sample item.

I sent out 5500 messages and had 17 spam reports. Going forward, I'm going to put the "permission reminder" in the header of the email. I'm just concerned that CC is going to flag me as a spammer when all of these emails were downloaded from purchase reports. Is there something else I can do?

What I think happened is that most of these people who reported me as spam were individuals whose message from me always got caught in their spam filter and the message sent via CC was the first one they ever saw from me. I'm hoping that the spam reports go down over time, but I'm concerned about how high they were in the first place. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: "Industry Standard" spam rates

Hi mjnrootdig,

Thanks for posting. Let me start by saying you proactivly asking for help here goes a long way with us. We do carefully watch accounts that have a large number of SPAM reports and our guideline for accounts is 1 spam report for every 1000 emails sent. You are over that report with this email but I don't see any need for review on your account. 

One thing I want to clear up is how SPAM is reported. The SPAM reports you see reported in your account are counts of contacts who have taken an action against your email. This can be clicking the SPAM button, moving the email to the SPAM folder or even reporting the IP address. 

The permission reminder is a good start. I would also make sure you spend some time managing your list by removing your bounces so you don't continue to mail to them. Let us know how using this goes in your account and we can help suggest some additional ideas!

Thanks,

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Occasional Advisor

"One thing I want to clear up is how SPAM is reported. The SPAM reports you see reported in your account are counts of contacts who have taken an action against your email. This can be clicking the SPAM button, moving the email to the SPAM folder or even reporting the IP address." 

Emphasis mine. I'm not understanding something here, or am I? A: How does CC know if a user has moved an email to their SPAM folder, and B: I will do that myself sometimes if I'm lazy and don't want to deal with unsubscribing; it's not always an indication that someone has got an issue with the company behind the emails in an ethical way.

In my own situation, I get a lot of people signing up for my list thinking it's actually another company, a large mail-order concern in the UK. And when they discover they've screwed up, they send SPAM reports!!! Crazy. It's never been a number so high as to cause any real concern, but it's tough not to take it personally sometimes, and if they're just dumping you into their SPAM folder, I don't think it should count against you.

Thanks-  Mike Jacoubowsky, Partner, Chain Reaction Bicycles (not in any way affiliated with a large internet concern that goes by Chain Reaction Cycles and is located in Ireland, although from the phone calls we get it sometimes seems people think we're their complain department!)

CTCT Employee

Hello @Chain_Reaction , 

Thanks for replying. I wanted to give a little more insight into the "moving the email to the SPAM folder" being counted as a Spam complaint.  It is dependent on the email client.  Some email clients will mark the email as Spam when it is moved, while others do not.  We understand that each organization is different, and will have a discussion with an account owner if needed.