Announcing Campaign Builder! Available now.

How to Delete contact from a segment list?

SOLVED
Go to solution
AlanB8
Rookie
0 Votes

Hello,

I'm trying to use "segment" to identify outdated email contacts that I want to delete.

I created a correct segment with criteria - but how can I delete those contacts?

I don't see a way to select them...

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @AlanB8 ,

You can further manage your segment by adding it to a list, determining which contacts may still be worth keeping (such as very recent additions based on Date Added), and then deleting all the remaining contacts and the segment list.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @AlanB8 ,

You can further manage your segment by adding it to a list, determining which contacts may still be worth keeping (such as very recent additions based on Date Added), and then deleting all the remaining contacts and the segment list.

William A
AlanB8
Rookie
0 Votes

Thanks William A, That makes sense - I will try it...

AlanB8
Rookie
0 Votes

Now I need to know how to do a "shift select" in the list results.  example - I have 2,500 contacts in a list - I only want to delete the ones added before 2017 - like 900 of them.  Can't I select only the contacts on a display page? Or - can't I do a "shift select" of a certain range? like 100 at a time?  Do I really have to click 900 checkboxes?  (and Why is the segment calendar limited for past dates?  I cannot use it to segment out contacts prior to this month in 2017.

Thanks in advance :smileyface:

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Shift-select isn't compatible with the Contacts dashboard UI. To do what you described, I'd honestly recommend just exporting all of your contacts, using a spreadsheet program to sort out the contacts you want to get rid of, and then uploading those contacts into a new list. Once they're uploaded, you can then select-all of them in your list, Actions > Delete.

Otherwise the option would indeed be to single-select the contacts you want to get rid of, then Actions > Delete.

William A
AlanB8
Rookie
0 Votes

Thanks William _A,

That seems a little surprising - for as long as CT CT has been out there...   but I understand  I'll go the spreadsheet route...

NikK4
Rookie
0 Votes

I have a similar query - I want to mass delete least engaged contacts, and have set up a segement with criteria of not opening emails for 2 years, and added these to a new list. I want to delete this list - however as many of the contacts belong to other multiple lists I can't delete them. There are 9000 contacts so I can't remove them from other lists manually! How can I delete these contacts completely please?

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @NikK4 ,

If you already have them in the list, simply follow the instruction in the post you replied to (select-all the contacts in the list > Actions > Delete).

William A
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Polls
How confident are you about the effectiveness of your current marketing strategy?

Top Choice: Not confident at all (77%)

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
Jun 05
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST