Using variable tags in Constant Contact email, landing page, and SMS editors

user9640528
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes
How can I keep a full dynamic variable field within a custom field on a contact that contains special characters such as &. Seems when it pulls through, and it hits the first & in the string, it stops. I am using this variable field to finalize a web page link on a campaign.
4 REPLIES 4
William_A
Administrator

Hello @user9640528 ,

Are you using the ampersand to include multiple variables in your link? Or is the ampersand purely an element of the field?

If it's the latter, then your contacts' custom field data will need to be changed to the actual word "and," as including a symbol like an ampersand is going to treat it like actual coding for multiple variables. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
user9640528
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

Hi William, the ampersand is part of multiple variables in the link. i.e., webpage = www.webpage.com/123456&firstname=Danny&lastname=Smith&weblink=www.website.com the variable part in the contact would be 123456&firstname=Danny&lastname=Smith&weblink=www.website.com 

William_A
Administrator

Hello @user9640528 ,

After speaking with the higher level technical team, they're recommending encoding the ampersand instead, so you'd set the URL up to look more like this:

https://www.webpage.com/123456%26firstname=[[firstName]]%26lastname=[[lastName]]%26weblink=[[custom.webpage]]

They're looking further into the issues you were experiencing with just using the ampersand, and will make note to address the experience and workarounds if needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
user9640528
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

Hi William, thank you for providing that recommendation. I was able to modify my link to pull through the other variable fields to build back up the link and this was successful. I would only add that in building the url, in lieu of %26, I used the ampersand, and it was accepted in this format. It only has issues with the ampersand when the ampersand is part of the variable field. 

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Polls
How confident are you about the effectiveness of your current marketing strategy?

Top Choice: Not confident at all (82%)

Upcoming Webinars
Jun 05
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST