You've Got Questions. We've Got Answers. 
From the basics to the advanced, we can help. Post questions, find answers, share knowledge with your peers.

Tagging contacts in your account to send targeted emails

by CTCT Employee Brandon_A on ‎12-15-2016 02:43 PM

Looking for a way to better target your emails, or segment your lists to more effectively market to your contacts? We’ve got just the thing for you! In our new 3rd Generation Editor, we’ve recently rolled out an update that allows you to use tags to narrow your lists into more specific groups of contacts. Are you a pet shop struggling with bird food sales? This update will help you target just the bird owners on your list, making it easier for them to get the information you want them to see!  Here’s how it works: Whenever you’re uploading a list of contacts to your account, on the final step of the upload process you can use the “add tags” option to tag those contacts before you put them into your newsletter list.
Tag Contacts.png
This way, you don’t have to create a brand new list for each subcategory of your customer base. “But Brandon, what if I want to send an email to everyone on my list EXCEPT the bird owners? (Everyone knows those bird owners can be a little sensitive when the email isn’t about their animal.)” Never fear, we also have the “exclude” option when using tags! So when you want to send an email about pet food being on sale but you’re fresh out of bird food, you can exclude the bird owners so they don’t receive an email that doesn’t pertain to them. When it comes time to schedule your email, after selecting your list, simply click “narrow by tag” and then choose whether you would like to INCLUDE or EXCLUDE that tag from the list you’re sending to. (Click here for one of our help articles that provides a walkthrough of this process if you’d like to save it for your own reference).

And that’s it! Segmenting your lists and targeting your email to a specific group of contacts can be a great help in improving your open rate, so try it out sometime and see what kind of results you get!

Brandon_A

Hi! My name is Brandon and I have been with Constant Contact since 2015. I currently specialize in both support and billing, and I really enjoy helping our customers learn the ins and outs of the product, as well as providing best practices and ideas to help make their email marketing as successful as possible!

Comments
by Freeman_Audio_Visual
on ‎01-03-2017 03:46 PM

Hello - I don't see this option when I am sending my campaign. I really need this feature because I am trying to send an important email out to a large group of our customers and need to suppress certain contacts from the list.  Thank you!

by CTCT Employee Alan_F
on ‎01-03-2017 04:30 PM

@Freeman_Audio_Visual We have rolled out the new limit by tag feature. However, this feature has been disabled for accounts that have more than 10,000 contacts. We found that using the limit by tag feature with that many contacts put too much stress on our servers. We are currently looking to see if we can implement a fix for this to help our larger list users. In the meantime, you can add the contacts you want to send to to their own email list. You can then schedule an email to go directly to that email list. 

by TrudyW9
on ‎02-26-2017 09:42 PM

Hi. I can only find Limit by Tag after I select my lists (under 5000 on lists). Does that mean only those with the Tag name will be included in the send or will those with the Tag name be excluded from the send?

Good feature if I can get it sorted.

thanks

Trudy

by CTCT Employee Hayley_L
on ‎02-27-2017 09:17 AM

@TrudyW9,

When you are getting ready to send out the email, you select the email lists you want the email to go to, and "Limit By Tag" means the email will send to send to everyone on the lists you selected EXCEPT the people you tagged. The tags will not receive the email. I hope this helps!