ability to add a forward to friend in emails

ability to add a forward to friend in emails

I created an email using card/announcement and when I tried to add "forward to a friend", "join my mailing list" and permission reminder" I was not able. I would like to have the ability to use these functions in future emails that I create.

Top Answer
Matt_B.
CTCT Employee

Hey all,

I wanted to chime in on this thread regarding the lack of Forward to a Friend in the third-generation editor. The simplest answer is that due to lack of usage in our previous editor (both our users inserting this link, and recipients using this link) we decided not to implement the feature. We also wanted to solve for cases where this feature was used as a workaround (such as getting around possible display issues), with other features or improvements to the editor. We want to focus on the latest and greatest features that will bring as much value as possible to our users. While I can understand that some users found this feature valuable, our plan is not to rebuild the second-generation editor, but rather to learn from its mistakes/successes to create a new, best-in-class editor.

To address some of the concerns around the lack of this feature:

1. Display concerns: some folks like the peace of mind knowing that users can see a “clean-copy” of their email. As a work-around for this, I would recommend including a “View as Webpage” link. This will link to the web version of your email without any potential display issues, and it will not have any personal information of the original recipient.
  2. Referrals and new signups: we recommend including a link to a lead generation landing page within emails that you’re hoping will be referred along. If you wish to have your contacts share your email on their social media pages, you can include a Social Share bar in your email that allows your contacts to easily make this happen. 

266 Comments

Forwarding from their email server causes the background to be copied for the new email.  When it is  dark, you can't read the text.  Also, we have no idea who they sent it too.  Please make available again.

CTCT Employee

Hello @CSWeek,

Thank you for your input. Consistency and accurate reporting are both very important concerns for your emails.  I would be happy to pass along that feedback. If you have any screenshots or more information on the display issues you are receiving, please send them to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com and reference this post and I would be happy to make sure all of that information is attached to your feedback!

Why is forward to a friend only available in custom coded emails? I'm trying to get away from custom coding my email newsletter...
CTCT Employee

@ChristaH117 Thank you for the feedback.  We know this is a important feature for some users.  The product team is looking at the best way to implement this into the current editor.

Visitor
Yes, please do add in a FORWARD option
Occasional Participant

Um, duh, the missing "Forward to a Friend" feature is essential to prevent people from unsubscribing others. Please add this with haste to your newer editor. 

CTCT Employee

Hello @AmyH0313,

I can definitely see why that's an important feature for you and I have submitted your feedback to our developers! Thank you for reaching out to us about adding that forward to a friend feature to the new editor.

Established Member

Why does it take so long to bring back "forward to a friend?" It appears from this thread that many of us are missing that feature. As others have pointed out, it's easy to do with MailChimp, and if your list is on the smaller side, MailChimp is FREE.

It's frustrating that I can only have subscribers share to social media and not directly via email. Also, if I use that function and include icons/links to my company's social media, it looks junky, so I need to pick one or the other. I tried the social media share buttons at the top and that's even worse.

Please bring back forward to a friend!

Frequent Visitor

You have to use the old editor to make forward to a friend work. Hopefully, CC will add this feature to the new editor as well. But the old editor is not really all that hard to manipulate, especially if you have a template.... Also, wish it would have an option for "Forward to a colleague" or something businessy, since many of use CC for biz-biz.... 

We would really like for there to be a forward option at the bottom of the email. We've had the problem where someone would forward the email and the new recipient would unsubscribe as the original person who forwarded them the email. It just messes with our system of who wants the emails and who doesn't. I hate that I have to use the old version just to get that option on my emails.

I also would like to have a "forward to a friend" feature. Some of my subscribers have requested this. They like to share my content but their email clients change the appearance of my email and they are unhappy with the results.

CTCT Employee

Hi @KelleyH38,

Thank you for your feedback! We understand that this function is important to some of our customers, and our developers are looking into possibly adding it back.  I will add your account to that request so you can be notified when it becomes available!

Very frustrating indeed.  Can't say I am happy with Constant Contact these days.  Waiting for a LONG time for them to revamp their survey feature.  Archaic and impossible and with free survey services out there you'd think it would be a priority for them!  Frustrated.

Yes, please make it available.  IMMEDIATELY.  This is a NO BRAINER!

CTCT Employee

Hi @RosieL

Thanks for joining us in the Community! We certainly understand why it would be helpful to have this feature available to your emails and it can be important. We will add your account to the current request list as well.

We also appreciate your feedback on the survey tool and will pass this along to our development team.

Is the Legacy template your older version? And when are you planning to release a newer version? 

CTCT Employee

Hello @AnitaS921,

Yes, the legacy templates are our older version of the editor.  The new third generation editor has already been released, and any of the 'standard' templates in your account will be using that newer editor.  We do not currently have an ETA on when the forward to a friend button will be added to this editor, but we'll be continuing to pass those requests on to the engineering team so that they know it's something people are wanting and asking about.

Established Member

One more voice desperate to get the Forward to a friend option back. As so many have pointed out, not only do emails get distorted when simply forwarding through gmail, aol, etc, but the originial subscriber often gets unsubscribed without their knowledge. I have had several of our organization's leaders asking why we dropped it. 

Occasional Participant

It doesn't appear that Forward to a Friend has made in traction with your development team. When a company makes too many changes to their website's functionality at one time, people will go elsewhere. If one is going to learn to use a new system and the service you previously provided is no longer available, find a competitor that has the features you want.

Sincerely,

Vicci

CTCT Employee

Hello @Aramco-ExPats,

I know that this request has been on the forums for awhile, and I can understand your concerns.  There are quite a few feature requests in the system, and no development team could implement them all at once.  We'll continue to track the requests for the team that is making changes.  Until this is available in the new editor, all accounts can still have access to the Legacy newsletter templates, and while it's not ideal, if you are in need of a feature like this, using those legacy templates is still an option.