I need help. I have 2 websites and want to link the email signup
buttons on each site to separate lists in my CC contacts area. I cannot
have a customer choose from multiple lists as your current setup
requires. I've been told I have 3 options:

1 - setup a 2nd CC acct to accommodate this need 

2 - create an HTML form, store the data on my website hosts server and
retrieve it manually

3 - create the HTML form and link it to the list at CC with a API script

I prefer option 3 but have no experience doing this and need assistance.

Can anyone help?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Re: API form email signup form to link to CC list

Hello,

Option three is definitely the best option if you have the ability to use our API.  The main requirement for our API is that it does require a server side scripting language to make the API calls to our server.  Usually you would have to create a sign up box and then use the scripting language to make an HTTPS post to our contacts collection API with the XML that has all the customer information. 

However, we also have a sign up form generator, which uses php, which would be required on your web server, to create a sign up form that uses our API.  You would not need to know php, but you would have to be able to put the sign up form generator on your site and run the program to generate the HTML.

If you are interested in the sign up form generator, you can see more information about it here.  If you are interested in creating the sign up form with our API, please check out the documentation here, and we also provide code samples in asp.net, php, and cold fusion.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Developer

I learned about the CC Signup Form Generator here and it seemed perfect for what I'm trying to do.

But it displays an error message in the browser when I hit Step 3 - Web Form Generator.

It appears to be related to permissions settings. Can you help me figure out how to fix this?

The error message that appears in the browser is ...

web 500 Internal Server Error -- 

It directs me to the web logs and I find this...

[Wed Sep 28 17:01:41 2011] [error] [client 69.118.127.179] File does not exist: /home/gvdotcom/public_html/500.shtml, referer: http://gusvenditto.com/CCSFG_0.0.6/setup/lists.php[

Wed Sep 28 17:01:41 2011] [error] [client 69.118.127.179] SoftException in Application.cpp:256: File "/home/gvdotcom/public_html/CCSFG_0.0.6/setup/form.php" is writeable by group, referer: http://gusvenditto.com/CCSFG_0.0.6/setup/lists.php

[Wed Sep 28 16:51:29 2011] [error] [client 69.118.127.179] File does not exist: /home/gvdotcom/public_html/403.shtml, referer: http://gusvenditto.com/CCSFG_0.0.6/setup/form.php

CTCT Employee

Hey John,

The folders are 755 and files are 644. I am not so convinced that this is a permissions problem as it could be with a content issue inside of your account trying to grab the lists.  If the permissions change doesn't work out let me know and I will review your account to see if there is any content that could cause an issue with this application.

Ryan Davis
Quality Engineer
Occasional Advisor

We just released a brand new tool for Constant Contact users called ccQuick (www.ccquick.com).

It's a great tool that allows you to create and configure subscribe boxes for your websites and then easily put the box on your site with a simple piece of code. Lead capture definitely just got easier.

Check it out!