Bogus emails added to our contact list

SOLVED
Go to solution
JeanE73
Rookie
0 Votes

Hello, We are getting lots of fake emails added to our contact list. I deleted over 200 this morning and had 30 more this afternoon. Can anyone suggest tools to address this? Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @JeanE73 ,

It looks like those bot sign-ups are coming from a single embedded join-my-mailing-list (JMML) source. I'd recommend turning off / removing that form, and switching over to a better protected form like:

I'd also advise setting your account up for Confirm Opt-In, as it helps to mitigate these kinds of mass bot sign-ups by requiring the tentative contact to explicitly clicking the link in the email our system sends to explicitly confirm the sign-up.

If you're having trouble finding the embedded JMML that's being used by the bots, I'd advise calling our general support so they can confirm permissions live with you, and work with our Tier 2 team to locate and break the form.

See also:

Installing coded forms onto compatible site builders

Finding and sharing lead gen landing page URLs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @JeanE73 ,

It looks like those bot sign-ups are coming from a single embedded join-my-mailing-list (JMML) source. I'd recommend turning off / removing that form, and switching over to a better protected form like:

I'd also advise setting your account up for Confirm Opt-In, as it helps to mitigate these kinds of mass bot sign-ups by requiring the tentative contact to explicitly clicking the link in the email our system sends to explicitly confirm the sign-up.

If you're having trouble finding the embedded JMML that's being used by the bots, I'd advise calling our general support so they can confirm permissions live with you, and work with our Tier 2 team to locate and break the form.

See also:

Installing coded forms onto compatible site builders

Finding and sharing lead gen landing page URLs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
May 01
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST