Cannot include subject line in email link anymore!

SOLVED
Go to solution
District18
Campaign Expert
0 Votes

I have a feedback button in my newsletter and the email address linked to it has been myemail@myorg.org?subject="Myorg Newsletter Feedback". However, on the new platform, adding the subject to the email address causes the email address to be rejected as invalid. Please make it work again! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator

Are you including "quotation marks" when inserting your subject line? I saw the same lack of subject in the initial test send of your email. When I removed the quotations from the mailto: link, the next test send had the button setup display as expected.

Are you able to get the subject line to populate now, with a fresh test send of your email?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @District18 ,

I'm not able to recreate when I try testing in your account. When using a junk address or your account's main one to setup the mailto: link in my CSCEMAILINKTEST_ copy of your email, everything goes through fine for saving, test sending, and clicking the links in the test send.

When setting up your subject line bit, are you replacing the spaces with %20 ? On your end, does it seem like setting the mailto: link up with one particular email address is causing issues, while other addresses enter in fine?

Does the issue occur for you when you setup the mailto: link with a freshly added text, image, or button block, as opposed to one copied over from a previous sendout?

William A
District18
Campaign Expert
0 Votes

Thank you, William! I replaced the blanks with %20 and the email address was accepted. (It used to work with blanks.) HOWEVER, clicking on the button generates a link that is missing the subject, i.e., the link is: myemail@myorg.org?subject=

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

I had no issue with the button setup in my CSCEMAILINKTEST_ copy when using a button setup for the mailto: link.

Does the issue occur for you when you setup the mailto: link with a freshly added button block, as opposed to one copied over from a previous sendout? Can you confirm with absolute certainty you setup the mailto: link the way it's supposed to?

If you restore the CSCEMAILINKTEST_ copy of your email from your deleted campaigns, are you able to test send, and get a new email to spawn with the subject line for the CSC TEST LINK button at the top?

William A
District18
Campaign Expert
0 Votes

I was using a button that was copied from an older campaign and was subsequently updated. I just removed that button and created a new one, and still have the same problem: it generates an email with no subject. I don't know how to restore the CSCEMSAILINKTEST_copy of my email from deleted campaigns. However, this my most recent campaign which worked (the button spawned a new email with the right subject line): https://conta.cc/3Jw0WJf. The campaign I'm currently working on is called "D18 Newsletter AUGUST 2023" and the button is at the bottom.

William_A
Administrator

Are you including "quotation marks" when inserting your subject line? I saw the same lack of subject in the initial test send of your email. When I removed the quotations from the mailto: link, the next test send had the button setup display as expected.

Are you able to get the subject line to populate now, with a fresh test send of your email?

William A
District18
Campaign Expert
0 Votes

Thank you!

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Jun 05
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST