Subject Line

SarahL08
Rookie
0 Votes

I don't like how our address is showing in our pre-header subject line. How do I avoid this?

4 REPLIES 4
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @SarahL08 ,

I test sent your email to my address, and I'm not sure I understand the question. When I received your test email, it showed the From Name you have listed in your email's header settings. I also apologize if you received a test version of the email, I accidentally sent it to you before I replaced the address with my own for the test.

Is your issue the ccsend rewrite of your address? Or is it that your email program's settings are showing your email address, rather than your from name? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
SarahL08
Rookie
0 Votes

Hi William_A,

Thanks for looking into this! I included a photo of what bothers me.

Thank you!

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Ah, if that's what's showing then it's indicating that there's not enough regular text material in the email. How most email programs work (and some have individual settings that can change this functionality) is that they'll first display your From Name. Then, they'll display your subject line, then your preheader, then they'll start with text in the email. This could be alt text from your image, or actual text within your email.

In your particular situation, this is occurring since the majority of your email is a clickable image, meaning the only text really left after the subject line is just the generic text of the footer. To avoid this situation you'd either want a longer subject line / preheader, some relevant alt text associated with your image, or some text in your email that isn't part of the images.

See also:

Avoiding image-only emails

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
SarahL08
Rookie
0 Votes

Thank you! This is very helpful.

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
Jul 10
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST