video block

SOLVED
Go to solution
LeighB768
Rookie
0 Votes

Why doesn't CC allow videos from sources other than YouTube? The fact that YouTube censors many videos, it is frustrating, to say the least, that you only allow them from YouTube. Why not allow videos from Cspan? They produce live video without editing or censorship? Why not allow videos from Twitter...todays most used social site? Please get with the times and open up your video posting tools.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @LeighB768 ,

The video block in the cross-device/platform editor allows for other video hosting sites, however they still need to be compatible in a way that procures a thumbnail via embed.ly, which is typically only applicable to dedicated video-hosting sites. Keep in mind that videos aren't embedded into emails, they're linked to. The video block is essentially an image block, with an auto-generated play button on top of the thumbnail info provided by the host site.

If a link to a video you're trying to add isn't compatible with the video block, then I'd advise using one of normal linking methods:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @LeighB768 ,

The video block in the cross-device/platform editor allows for other video hosting sites, however they still need to be compatible in a way that procures a thumbnail via embed.ly, which is typically only applicable to dedicated video-hosting sites. Keep in mind that videos aren't embedded into emails, they're linked to. The video block is essentially an image block, with an auto-generated play button on top of the thumbnail info provided by the host site.

If a link to a video you're trying to add isn't compatible with the video block, then I'd advise using one of normal linking methods:

William A
LeighB768
Rookie
0 Votes

Yes, that I know. But it is a pain and would be nice if you could find a way to allow direct video with other sites. Youtube censors.....

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "direct video," then. If a site, any video-hosting site, is compatible with embed.ly then it'll propagate the thumbnail with a play button in the video block. Otherwise, if the site you're wanting to use isn't compatible with embed.ly, then it's a moot point. In that regard, you'd be using an alternative linking source anyway. You don't have to use YouTube if you don't want to.

Videos cannot be embedded directly into emails for both file size allowances, and to satiate more stringent security algorithms for the larger email programs.

William A
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
May 01
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST