What makes an effective welcome email series?

Grace_R
Employee

The closest I’ve come to feeling like a true VIP was when my husband and I arrived at our honeymoon resort in Aruba. We were greeted with a warm welcome and a glass of champagne, given undivided attention and a tour of the property. Surely, with my Target sunglasses, they hadn’t mistaken us for a famous celebrity couple, right? No, they certainly had not. It was simply how they treated every new guest: like VIPs. And it was memorable and appreciated.

When you create an email series to welcome new subscribers, that’s exactly how you want your contacts to feel. As if their business is of the utmost importance to you. 

There are many ways you can roll out the metaphorical red carpet. For example, you could:

• First, send out your initial greeting. Thank the subscriber for joining your email list and welcome them to your brand or business. Offer a special gift or discount!
  • Second, invite them to connect with you on social media, so they can easily stay in the loop and interact with your organization.
  • Third, get to know your new subscriber by inviting them to take a survey or to provide information such as their birthday. Show that you have an interest in who they are!

Learn more about building out an effective automated welcome series here.

Tell us, what do you incorporate into your welcome emails that makes new subscribers feel appreciated? What works well for your particular industry?

4 REPLIES 4
Chris-S
Administrator

Surely, with my Target sunglasses, they hadn’t mistaken us for a famous celebrity couple, right? No, they certainly had not. It was simply how they treated every new guest: like VIPs. And it was memorable and appreciated.

With my Target sunglasses 🤣.

I agree with all of @Grace_R insights. We’re all aware of the significance of making a good first impression, and your introductory emails serve as a great chance to make a grand entrance.

1. Warm Welcome Message:
    Begin with a warm salutation. Express gratitude to your followers for subscribing and tailor your message to establish a bond. @DavidFischerSolutionsForGrowth I know you have years of experience with setting up welcome email series for a variety of businesses. Any insights you can share?
  2. Clear Expectations:
    Provide information on the frequency and type of content in your emails, establishing trust from the beginning. @ACTIVATE any tips you can share to meet these expectations? I’m sure you see this a lot in your business and clients.
  3. Exclusive Offer:
    Who wouldn't enjoy a special surprise? Add a discount, complimentary item, or exclusive material to express your gratitude and encourage participation. @LeaveittoLindsay what exclusive offers do you see work the best?
  4. Personalization:

Customize content by using subscriber data. Request preferences or birthdates to create more personalized communication in the future.

Create an Automated Welcome Path 

Elevate your marketing with Constant Contact's Professional Design Services! From eye-catching email templates to custom branding and social media graphics, our professional design services are tailored to boost your business's impact and engagement.

LeaveittoLindsay
Community Coach

Some of the offers I have done in the past for clients include: 

Coffee Shop: Free Coffee or 50% off your next coffee order

Spa: 20% Off Your Next Spa Service

You can use a promo code if you have ecommerce capability, or simply say "To redeem, simply share this email with the [receptionist/hostess/manager- insert whatever applies here] at the time of booking."

Or by using the birthday/anniversary club automation as an incentive and write "Receive a free gift from us on your birthday to help you celebrate when you sign up for our email list!"

Lindsay Joy Higgins
L2L Creative Group
MelanieDiehl
Community Coach

I love the idea of providing personalized offers to clients. My esthetician client asks subscribers to provide their birthday month via a single-question survey in her welcome series. The subscriber then receives an exclusive promo to redeem during their birthday month. 

A B&B client encourages subscribers to identify their preferences (again via a survey in the welcome series) indicating their interests: Spa Weekends, Girlfriend Getaway, Shopping, Wineries, etc. Then targeted emails can be delivered to those specific segments which improves conversion all around.

Melanie Diehl

Melanie & co Marketing Collective

Help others find this post by giving it kudos.

Note: I am not a Constant Contact employee.

Nick_S
Administrator
Third, get to know your new subscriber by inviting them to take a survey or to provide information such as their birthday. Show that you have an interest in who they are!

I actually really like the idea of sending the survey on the third email in the series. You want the new subscriber to feel warmed up and welcomed before you bombard them.

It's also a great way to begin leveraging segmentation practices, if you're asking the right questions to understand their interests, segment them appropriately, and then tailor future communications to those interests.

Content Manager

Elevate your marketing with Constant Contact's Professional Design Services! From eye-catching email templates to custom branding and social media graphics, our professional design services are tailored to boost your business's impact and engagement.

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
SEP 19
Achieve Your Goals with Multi-Channel Marketing Campaigns
2PM - 3PM EST
OCT 02
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 2:30PM EST