Segmentation made simple [Download]

Elizabeth_K
Employee

When you’re looking to segment your contacts, getting started can be a little overwhelming. How do I segment? What content do I share? How are others in my industry doing this? If these are the questions swirling around your head, you’ve come to the right place. We can tell you how to use our segmentation tools, and our amazing Community members can help you fine-tune it based on your industry! So, let’s get started:

Our expertise is the “how to,” so I’ll start with the basics. Put simply, segmentation is just grouping contacts together by shared traits, interests, or behaviors. Your segment can be as simple or as complex as you need it to be! Once you filter your contacts into a group, you can send them super specific content. This keeps your emails short and relevant, and it increases engagement and enhances your marketing efforts when you’re trying to reach the right audience, at the right time, with the right content.

Here are some resources to get you started:

Now, let’s talk about your industry—this is your area of expertise, and I’m willing to bet you already have some ideas of what kind of segments would be helpful to have. If you haven’t given it too much thought yet, here are some questions to help you narrow down your segments:

• Who is your audience and why do they want to hear from you?
  • Do all your contacts need the same information or can you break your information into parts?
  • Are there any “buckets” your contacts naturally fall into when you think about them?
  • Do you collect enough information about your contacts to be able to group them together in an ideal way or is there work to do to get there?

We’ve also put together some examples of how our customers are successfully using segmentation based on their industry:

If you have questions about how to set segmentation up for success, don’t be afraid to post them in the Community! We’d love to hear what you tried, what worked and didn’t work, and what your overall segmentation journey has been like.

Need some inspiration? Learn more about how other organizations are using Constant Contact in our Customer Spotlight - just search the Community for “spotlight.” And, if you’re interested in segmentation but haven’t started yet, check out this article: An Introduction to Email List Segmentation.

4 Comments

Resources

Community Blog

Check out marketing advice, tips, and tricks. All from our Constant Contact experts

Visit the blog

Featured Article

Industry Tips: Retail

If your business is retail sales, here are some suggestions for using Constant Contact to reach customers and grow.

See Article

Featured Thread

Casual Conversations: What is your favorite hobby?

Do you like to paint? Play sports? Garden? Whatever the hobby may be, join the conversation and tell us about it!

View thread

Featured Article

Community Roundup: July 2024

Check out all the great articles, discussions, and events for the month of July!

See Article