Casual Conversation: What is your favorite hobby?

Nick_S
Administrator

Welcome to Casual Conversations!

Every first Wednesday of the month we want to take a moment out of our day to break from the hustle and bustle of online marketing and open discussion up to subjects that have less to do with emails, events, and landing pages and more to do with... everything else!

Now sometimes we might skirt the line between business and pleasure in our topics of conversation, but ultimately we know how hard y'all are working and it's fun to think about something other than work every once in awhile.

--

One of my more recent pieces, based on a video game character.One of my more recent pieces, based on a video game character.

I’d like to think everyone has a favorite hobby. An activity they enjoy doing outside of their professional and personal responsibilities. Maybe that hobby turned into a full-time gig, or it’s just the way you enjoy passing time on the weekends.

I’ve mentioned my enthusiasm for art in a few posts lately, so it’s no surprise that I would say it’s my favorite hobby!

I drew a lot as a kid (terribly), but let the (meager) skills flounder for more than ten years before I found myself stuck at home during the early days of the pandemic. I randomly decided to try my hand at creating pixel art (think old school video games), and while researching tutorials, a random line stating that “to be good at pixel art you still have to learn traditional art fundamentals” made me realize I had to start from scratch. It’s been about four years now and while I haven’t returned to making pixel art, I’ve continued to draw basically every day. The jury is still out if I were to turn it into an actual professional career, but I get a lot of satisfaction out of creative problem solving regardless.

What about you? What’s your favorite hobby?

Elevate your marketing with Constant Contact's Professional Design Services! From eye-catching email templates to custom branding and social media graphics, our professional design services are tailored to boost your business's impact and engagement.

23 REPLIES 23
Abigail_S
Administrator

Love this! I recently started a new summer hobby....paddle boarding! It's been so fun to try something new, get a little exercise, sunshine, and a day out on the water. Yesterday, I even saw an eagle 🦅

Nick_S
Administrator
0 Votes

Eaaaaaagle. Paddle boarding is cool. My wife and I keep talking about buying paddle boards, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Elevate your marketing with Constant Contact's Professional Design Services! From eye-catching email templates to custom branding and social media graphics, our professional design services are tailored to boost your business's impact and engagement.

MelanieDiehl
Community Coach

So cool! Any day in the sun and on the water is a good day!

Melanie Diehl

Melanie & co Marketing Collective

Help others find this post by giving it kudos.

Note: I am not a Constant Contact employee.

Elizabeth_K
Employee
0 Votes

I love being on the water! I'm also ready for some volleyball. 🏐

Caitlin_M
Administrator

My hobby is tending to my plants! I don't collect rare plants since there is always the fear of killing them but I enjoy trying to revive the sale ones I find at plant stores. I bought one that was struggling back on Black Friday and I'm finally seeing new leaves pop up! It's very rewarding.

--

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
Nick_S
Administrator
0 Votes

I can't be trusted with plants, but mad respect for keeping them alive.

Chris-S
Administrator

Can we see some pictures of your plants @Caitlin_M?!📷

Exciting news! Announcing our latest offering, Campaign Builder. Create stunning email campaigns effortlessly and efficiently with our intuitive tool!

Elizabeth_K
Employee
0 Votes

I want to see your plants too, @Caitlin_M! I'm very good at spider plants, and I have a couple plants that seem to be happy without frequent watering, which are perfect for me because I tend to forget to water them. 

Caitlin_M
Administrator

Here are a few!

IMG_1484.JPG

A bonsai I planted during a class I attended back in May. It's...adjusting. This is the one I'm most nervous about. Also peep the skeleton in the back. It has a space at the top of its head so you can put an air plant in it. Like a little crown.

IMG_1483.JPGIMG_1482.JPG

A mix of spider plants, pothos, and philodendrons. I have an app that keeps track of watering schedules. 

--

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
Elizabeth_K
Employee
0 Votes

They look so happy!  I used to work near a store that sold Bonsai trees, and I bought and killed two of them. :crying: They sent me home with instructions that I followed, but they were so fussy that I swore them off forever. I also like to kill air plants.

Abigail_S
Administrator
0 Votes

I also kill all my airplants unintentionally. My new house seems like it's too dry for them, so I'm not use to them needing water!

MelanieDiehl
Community Coach

That's fun! I finally found a place where my houseplants don't go to die, so that's where my African violet and spider plant and snake plant live. I'm not pushing my luck with anything else!

Melanie Diehl

Chris-S
Administrator

Two words, board games. I got into them during the COVID-19 lockdown to keep busy. Gloomhaven kicked off my love for the hobby with its dungeon-crawling story, and the ability to unlock new characters. Below is a picture of some of my collection.

IMG_6096.jpg

Exciting news! Announcing our latest offering, Campaign Builder. Create stunning email campaigns effortlessly and efficiently with our intuitive tool!

MelanieDiehl
Community Coach

I love game night. We play canasta with my parents and Mexican Trains with our friends and our daughters. 

Melanie Diehl

Elizabeth_K
Employee

I love board games! I like to buy them for my daughter, but we all know it's really so I can play them. Lol!

This was my favorite board game as a kid, and I still play it now.
fantasyforest.jpg

MelanieDiehl
Community Coach

I've recently found a lot of satisfaction in preserving food. As a young girl living on a small homestead farm, we canned everything in our garden. I must say I didn't enjoy it as a teenager. Recently, I've taken up the canning as well as dehydrating! It's a lot of work, but I do enjoy the fruits of my labor (pun intentional!). It's nice to pass along a jar of homemade bone broth to my daughter when she's not feeling well, or give a jar of wild violet jelly with a loaf of homemade sourdough to a neighbor, or share some dried apple rings (he calls them chips) with my grandson. My husband jokes about what I'll try to dehydrate next 😂

violet jelly.jpg

Melanie Diehl

Caitlin_M
Administrator

Those are beautiful! I never thought of using flowers to make jelly. What does it taste like?

--

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
MelanieDiehl
Community Coach
0 Votes

It's a soft floral/fruity flavor. And it's SO pretty--almost too pretty to eat!

Melanie Diehl

Nick_S
Administrator

Mm. Now I'm hungry. This definitely seems like a fun (and delicious) hobby!

MelanieDiehl
Community Coach

WHOA, I'm impressed! I have great respect for anyone who has the talent to draw or paint. That's stunning!

Melanie Diehl

Nick_S
Administrator

Thank you! 🙂

Art can take a physical toll, but it is much more of a mental exercise to make sure you are answering all the questions in your head for what you're trying to achieve.

LeaveittoLindsay
Community Coach

I founded the Charlestown Women's Club so in my free time I create events for the women in my community to meet up and get together. I founded this group because I found it hard to be able to meet people in the community as a self-employed female with no children, who works from home. Our group now has 750 women.  When I'm not doing that, I love to go consignment shopping! 

Lindsay Joy Higgins
L2L Creative Group
Caitlin_M
Administrator
0 Votes

I love that! It's good to have a community to lean on and enjoy time together. What kind of activities do you do?

--

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
JUN 27
Boost Your Email Results with Segmentation & Personalization
2PM - 3PM EST
JUL 10
Getting Started with the Constant Contact Community
2PM - 3PM EST