cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to the basic reporting functions?

Highlighted
Advisor

What happened to the basic reporting functions?

This "new experience" is giving me a headache. As a publishing company that sells advertising in our newsletters, we need to be able to tell our advertisers what the average open rate and average clickthrough rate is for the year. That information is no longer provided to your customers.

I am being told by technical support that I will have to open every single newsletter we sent out this year, create a spreadsheet and manually enter the number of emails sent, the number of unique opens and the number of unique clicks. Then I get to tabulate it myself. That can't possibly be the only solution your tech company provides.

The average open rate for the last six months and lifetime on my account was provided at the bottom of the reporting page since I became a customer in 2007. Now it is gone?

Constant Contact bills its self as a marketing company, but how are we to market our services to others without basic information like an average open rate and click through rate?

We can't get historical reporting as to the number of subscribers and unsubscribes for the past X number of days. That, too, has to be manally tabulated.

The reason people unsubscribe is only visible if people open every newsletter and click on the number of subscribers. That can't be exported either.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told today that it takes FOUR DAYS for a call back to be made. Either there are a bunch of really ticked off customers complaining about the "new experience" or there is some pretty significant dysfunction in the tech support department.

So, bottom line, without having to manually open 150 emails to get the data that is readily available in your system, what department can I call to order a report, even if we have to pay for what you provided free of charge for the past nine years?

GREG GERBER

18 REPLIES 18
Honored Contributor

Re: What happened to the basic reporting functions?

I have been using the "Reporting Option" to get that in the new "Hemorrhoidal Experience"

You can also export the total data to a spread sheet.

BUT for some special reason known only to the crack pot CTCT imagineers it only lets me go back for a total of 50 events. I can't do any comparing to the same time last year as a result. Another EPIC FAIL.  The list keeps growing.

I've never seen a redesign of a product THROW OUT so many useful functions before in my 40 years in the computer business.

2016-07-21_7-01-59.jpg

Can someone tell me how to pull up more than 50 or why its top-stopped at a value less than the amount of data in the collection?

... and please collapse those dumb 90-Day Takeaways if you're not going to populate them as they take up a huge amount of UI.

Advisor

I'm glad to know someone is as baffled as I am as to why the reporting functions are so lacking in their capability. The data is locked in Constant Contact's database anyway, so why not put it to use? 

As a publication, we send out a daily newsletter, so 50 days is about two months of history -- and yet the report still doesn't provide the average open rates and click through rates over that 50-day period. It's a very simple calculation.

You're right.  How does it compare historically?

How are marketers supposed to know if an email campaign is performing above or below average for other campaigns that year?

It's just silly. There must not be any more baby boomers employed at Constant Contact to reign in the millennials back to reality.

Here is my theory, and it's just a wild guess.

The effectiveness of Constant Contact's email marketing is likely dwindling and the staff doesn't want marketers to see that. When looking at the average open rates and click through rates by industry for publishing, the current averages being reported by Constant Contact are an open rate of 13.73 percent and click through rate of 13.58 percent.

According to my records, two years ago the publishing industry averages were an 18.2 percent open rate and 20.8 percent click through rate. A 7 point drop in two years is significant.

In 2011, that number was 18.1 percent open rate and 27.6 percent click through rate. Now we're talking a 50 percent drop in click throughs in five years.

That type of swing is impossible to detect when the company is limiting data to the last five emails or, at best, the last 50.

GREG GERBER

Honored Contributor

CTCT here is a old adage from my days of programming of which there have been many.

NEVER DESTROY CUSTOMERS DATA. 

CTCT Employee

Hello @RVDR and @Clique_Marketing

I want to thank everyone in this feed for all your great feedback about the reporting in the updated experience. I have compiled all of your suggestion and sent an email to our engineers with your concerns. We make updates often and are always interested in hearing how each of our customers use the product in their own environment.

We have a feedback section for the new Reporting tab. Please feel free to provide any addtional feedback there as well. You can also up vote any other ideas you would like to see!

Anna Davila
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
Honored Contributor

Anna, 

Can you tell me how to pull up more than 50 or why its top-stopped at a value less than the total amount of data that I have in my customer account ?

Tell me you didn't delete all my analytics.  

Honored Contributor

Anna or anyone??

Hello @Clique_Marketing. At this time, the reporting page can only pull in up to 50 emails at a time. In order to view the reporting for any campaigns after the last 50, you will have to click on each campaign individually on the Campaigns page to get the reporting. I'm very sorry if this is an inconvenience for you and this is something we have provided feedback for for our developers.

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Occasional Advisor

Clicking on each campaign and then with a pencil and paper writing it down?  Pretty high tech .

I guess you haven't had to navigate that hornets nest too often.

It would have been much more palatable to go back to a certain chronological break point like 24-36 months than 50 emails which in some cases isn't even a full year.

I ponder the folks sitting around in your design meetings, they would seem to have no real idea how to design a product that folks can use without heartburn.

Honored Contributor

Most would agree that this new upgrade is a BUST in many critical areas.

Its baffling as to how this basic lack of control was signed off on by management.  Just baffling .....