Contact list columns for "Tags" and "Email Lists" are blank.

SOLVED
Go to solution
PAMA2012
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

My contacts have all been assigned tags and email lists, but those columns are blank when creating any report. The only way I can have a "tag" show up is by editing the contact, scrolling all the way down to the "Custom Fields" area and typing into the Tag or Email List text box. No dropdown to pick from either. What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator

Hello @PAMA2012 ,

So I think your situation is that for some of your contacts, you've included list membership as a custom field, when it's already a specialty field our system has by default. This means that, for example, when you export an open report for your emails, you're getting two separate columns for lists. One of them is very empty because it's the custom field you occasionally include / add to, and the other is what our system has for their actual membership, and should be considered the true "Lists" column for the export. 

Regarding the Tags column, a lot of your contacts just don't have any tags associated with them. You can manage contacts' tags individually by editing them, or you can add/remove tags in bulk as well. You can also import tags as part of a file upload. 

In all honesty, I'd advise getting rid of that custom field, because it seems to just be making your exported reports and contacts' cards messier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
William_A
Administrator

Hello @PAMA2012 ,

So I think your situation is that for some of your contacts, you've included list membership as a custom field, when it's already a specialty field our system has by default. This means that, for example, when you export an open report for your emails, you're getting two separate columns for lists. One of them is very empty because it's the custom field you occasionally include / add to, and the other is what our system has for their actual membership, and should be considered the true "Lists" column for the export. 

Regarding the Tags column, a lot of your contacts just don't have any tags associated with them. You can manage contacts' tags individually by editing them, or you can add/remove tags in bulk as well. You can also import tags as part of a file upload. 

In all honesty, I'd advise getting rid of that custom field, because it seems to just be making your exported reports and contacts' cards messier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
PAMA2012
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

Thanks for the response. Yes, you're obviously right. That worked - didn't realize someone had entered those custom fields and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't populate. Have deleted and all is good. Appreciate the help. 

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
May 01
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST