how many gmail recipients click view entire message

MatthewH6905
Rookie
0 Votes
Our emails to Gmail users are longer than normally displayed in Gmail and with "[Message clipped] View entire message." My question. How can I tell how many folks clicked the view entire message link?
4 REPLIES 4
Nick_S
Administrator
0 Votes

Hi @MatthewH6905,

I do not think there is a way for you to know how many users clicked that link. It's built into the Gmail platform, not the Constant Contact email, so it's not something we would be able to track.

Looking to level up your email template designs? Share your email campaigns in Template Feedback & Inspiration and receive valuable advice from Constant Contact experts and industry peers!

MatthewH6905
Rookie
0 Votes

Actually, as I understand your tracking I think that you do have the technology available to track this. Currently, you add a tracking pixel to the top of the message. Simply add another one to the message end. If I am not mistaken that, would give you a count of the initial opens (which you do currently) and the end of the message opens. On email clients that do not split the content, those would be equal. While you provide a "better" number of the number of folks who saw the whole message.

Would that work?

Nick_S
Administrator

That's an interesting suggestion, so I reached out to our advanced support team. The short answer is no for the current version of the product, though. The tracking links are generated at the moment of sending, but the "View entire message" link is generated by Google upon arrival in the inbox. The support agent seemed to think that the tracking pixel would still trigger even if they don't click to view the entire email, but adding a pixel at the bottom wouldn't change anything. We can only see if the links that were already in the email were clicked and the pixel as it works now doesn't distinguish about where in the email it is placed. I'm not sure if that's something that could be added to the code on the backend, so it's still valuable feedback and I can submit it to our developers for you. I hope I understood what you were suggesting, please let me know if I'm off base.

Looking to level up your email template designs? Share your email campaigns in Template Feedback & Inspiration and receive valuable advice from Constant Contact experts and industry peers!

MatthewH6905
Rookie
0 Votes

Thanks. You understand what I am suggesting. It would take some tests from your engineers to see if that bottom of the message pixel gets hit immediately in gmail before it is sent/displayed to the recipient or only when it is opened in the web page. My guess is the latter but I do not know how gmail works in the back end.

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
May 01
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST