Change Contact "Source" field to something unique instead of "Other app"

ChristopherW5602
Rookie
0 Votes

I've created a handwritten implementation in node.js for adding contacts via a form on my website. What can I do to get the "Source" field on my added contacts to say something other than  "Other app"? I want to say it has something to do with `create_source`, but as far as I can see, only `Account` and `Contact` are valid values. I'd like my Source field to say something identifiable like "Website Signup Form".

What can I do?

1 REPLY 1
Courtney_E
Employee
0 Votes

Hello ChristopherW5602,

Thank you for reaching out to Constant Contact API Developer Support. My team is here to assist outside software developers with questions about building into Constant Contact's API.

The Source column within the Contacts tab of the Website UI is a hard-coded part of the UI that cannot be modified, and will only display pre-populated source types such as "Website sign-up form", "Inline", "Other app", and "Added by you". 

The Source label "Other app" indicated that the contact was added via a 3rd party integration or signup form that was developed by a 3rd party using our free public API.

If your intent is to better categorize the sources of contacts being added by your application, you can do so by using one of our other contact management tools, such as Lists, Tags, or Custom Contact Fields, all of which can be modified using the API.

The "create_source" variable in contacts indicates who the contact was added by, and indicates the type of permission given, which ensures that we remain compliant with any applicable laws and regulations in the areas that we offer service. 

For example, if you upload a list of contacts, or sync a list of contacts from another platform, you'd want to use "Account" because those contacts were added by you, and you have implied that you have permission to email them. If the contact is being added via a sign-up form, or some alternate method where the contact is the one confirming that they want to be added to a list, you would use "Contact", as the contact has given firsthand permission. 

Understanding implied and express permission for CASL and GDPR:

https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/5924-implied-and-express-permission... 

Please have a look and let us know if you have any other questions!

Regards,

Courtney E.
Tier II API Support Engineer

Did I answer your question?
If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
Resources
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Announcements

API Updates

Join our list to be notified of new features and updates to our V3 API.