Contacts Json Import - Incorrect response

user453699
Rookie
0 Votes

Hi,

I hope you are doing great!

I am importing contacts to a list through Json bulk import API. It's skipping the some of the contacts and not showing any error in the response.  It's also not returning the correct status response.

Here is the Json.

[{"cf:custom_field_15":"CVS132865489134920","first_name":"A***x","last_name":"R***s","company_name":"M***r","job_title":"I***r","email":"t***@***t.com","work_phone":"","home_phone":"","street":"1***0","street2":"","city":"W***k","state":"CA","zip":"9***6","country":""},{"cf:custom_field_15":"CVS627059225824200","first_name":"A***w","last_name":"D***n","company_name":"S***t","job_title":"P***r","email":"a***@***s.com","work_phone":"","home_phone":"","street":"","street2":"","city":"","state":"","zip":"","country":""},{"cf:custom_field_15":"CVS754522108057241","first_name":"A***r","last_name":"E***t","company_name":"S***s","job_title":"R***r","email":"a***@***e.com","work_phone":"","home_phone":"","street":"","street2":"","city":"","state":"","zip":"","country":""},{"cf:custom_field_15":"CVS775871144850266","first_name":"M***d","last_name":"L***3","company_name":"S***t","job_title":"Mr.","email":"m***@***t.com","work_phone":"","home_phone":"","street":"","street2":"","city":"","state":"","zip":"","country":""}]

And here is the response.

{"activity_id":"91aba594-27fc-11ef-883e-fa163e5bc304",
"state":"completed",
"started_at":"2024-06-11T14:12:00Z","completed_at":"2024-06-11T14:12:00Z","created_at":"2024-06-11T14:12:00Z","updated_at":"2024-06-11T14:12:00Z","source_file_name":"csv_from_json_2024-06-11T101200-040020240611-22587-1bid1gl.csv",
"percent_done":100,
"activity_errors":[],

"status":{"items_total_count":5,"person_count":0,"error_count":0,"correctable_count":0,"cannot_add_to_list_count":2},

"_links":{"self":{"href":"/v3/activities/91aba594-27fc-11ef-883e-fa163e5bc304"},"results":{"href":"/v3/file_imports/91aa1f58-27fc-11ef-883e-fa163e5bc304"}}}

You see items_total_count is incorrect and also it's not returning any reason or error in the response.

Please help how we can get the correct response.

Regards,

Lall 

1 REPLY 1
Courtney_E
0 Votes

Hello Lall,

Thank you for reaching out to Constant Contact API Developer Support. My team is here to assist outside software developers with questions about building into Constant Contact's API.

I was able to replicate the issue that you were running into where after making a POST v3/activities/contacts_json_import, when calling GET /activities/{activity_id}, items_total_count displays 1 more item than expected. 

Example: upload 25 contacts using contacts_json_import, returns: "status": {"items_total_count": 26

I have escalated this issue to our engineering team for review, so thanks for bringing this to our attention. In the meantime, you should be able to get an accurate count by just subtracting 1 from items_total_count.

In regards to the contacts updated, it looks like the contacts a*******@****e.com and a*******@*****s.com [redacted for privacy] were contacts that were added to the account previously, but had unsubscribed.

Once a contact (email address) has been added into the system, even if it is deleted, the contact entry and details still remain on the back end of the system for reporting and compliance purposes. 

For example, if a contact unsubscribes from your organization’s mailing list, and you were to delete and then re-add that contact, they would be re-added as unsubscribed rather than as a new contact. This allows us to be compliant with the CAN-SPAM Act, as well as other applicable laws and regulations. 

CAN-SPAM Act and how it affects your campaigns

https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/5825-can-spam-act-and-how-it-affect... 

Frequently Asked Questions for Contacts

https://www.constantcontact.com/legal/about-constant-contact-faqs 

Essentially, deleting a contact never really deletes them. It just strips their list memberships, moves them into a “deleted” status, and hides them from being visible in the account.

Please have a look and let us know if you have any other questions! Or, if you have questions specific to our policies or terms of service, please contact privacy@endurance.com 

Regards,

Courtney E.
Tier II API Support Engineer

Did I answer your question?
If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
Resources
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Announcements

API Updates

Join our list to be notified of new features and updates to our V3 API.