Announcing our brand new Campaign Builder!

Question about API Documentation and Identifying a Contact from API Attributes

GinaM823
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

According to the API documentation with regard to the `unsubscribe` endpoint, a contact gains the attribute and value pair of status=unsubscribed, however when looking up a contact via the endpoint GET request of /contacts?email=<email_address>, there is no status attribute. I can see that I can search contacts based on a filter of status=unsubscribed, but if I'm doing a contact lookup in order to get the contact ID in order to unsubscribe or delete (documentation also states there should be a status=deleted attribute and value pair associated to the account), how can I tell if the contact is already unsubscribed or deleted (to not worry about actually making the request to unsubscribe and/or delete)?

It looks like the return payload includes permission_to_send having a value of unsubscribed would be a valid identifier. It also looks like only deleted contacts have the deleted_at attribute in their return value payload. The documentation doesn't really refer to this though. Can I get verification on this?

1 REPLY 1
GinaM823
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

It also seems that the address property of the email_address group is also required, as is update_source. Hard to tell since the examples contain extraneously provided information, and the description of the documentation simply states the permission_to_send and opt_out_reason need to be set (even if opt_out_reason is null).

Resources
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Announcements

API Updates

Join our list to be notified of new features and updates to our V3 API.

Polls
How confident are you about the effectiveness of your current marketing strategy?

Top Choice: Not confident at all (72%)