Unique Markets. As a former journalist, she had the research skills and natural interest in telling stories that helped her prepare for owning a business.

For the last 15 years, Sonja has created large-scale pop-up markets across the country. She aims to support small businesses by showcasing up-and-coming designers, artists, and entrepreneurs just starting their journey. From the beginning, she set out to be a leader in an industry that didn’t even exist.

“I do believe in the idea of go big or go home,” she says. “I wasn't going to create a little market that could happen outdoors in a parking lot. That's already out there. I wanted to create something new. I wanted to disrupt an industry.”

On this episode of Be a Marketer, Sonja and host Dave Charest talk about the growing pains she experienced, why you shouldn’t fall for the social media trap, and the importance of focusing on yourself.

Meet Today’s Guest: Sonja Rasula of Unique Markets
What Sonja does: Sonja founded Unique Markets in 2008 to create large-scale pop-up markets nationwide. Her markets support small businesses by showcasing up-and-coming designers, artists, and entrepreneurs just starting their journey.

💡 Key quote from Sonja: “As a business owner, if you own nothing, that means Instagram or whatever social media platform you're using, that means they own you. That's a terrible position to be in.”

👋 Where to find Sonja: LinkedIn | Instagram

👋 Where to find Unique Markets: Website | Instagram | Facebook

If you love this show, please leave a review. Go to RateThisPodcast.com/bam and follow the simple instructions.

Listen Anywhere

Apple Podcasts Spotify Google Podcasts Pocket Casts Amazon Music

Get your questions answered on an upcoming episode.