What are the HTTP statuses CC returns for application issues?

Regular Participant

What are the HTTP statuses CC returns for application issues?

Back on 7/20 when I was using digest authentication over HTTP to CC, POSTing an existing contact returned a nice error message.  Now with basic authentication over HTTPS an HTTP 409 Conflict status is returned.  Fine, but it raises a question: what HTTP statuses might I expect for application-level issues like this and for what reasons?  Do you have a complete list you might post somewhere?

--Lars Greninger

Lars Greninger

Hero Arts development

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Lars,

We have a breakdown of all the possible error codes and what their general cause is posted here.  There are some issues where a 409 can be returned if you are using improper XML for the contact id in an update.   The XML document should have no https in the actual XML.  If you have any of those links set as https it will cause 409 errors with no error message as this is failing at our server level when it checks the POST URI vs the Contact ID URI.  If this is the case, the server will send an error without a reason back and is typically the cause of what you're seeing.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Regular Participant

That chart was exactly what I was looking for.  Perfect.

As a crude way to test PHP create-contact logic without polluting CC with useless email addresses I'd been POSTing an already-existing contact.  So I expected it to fail, I just didn't expct the 409 status after getting an output like

System Error Encountered!

Error :

Email address (bogus.guy@nowhere.com) is already a contact

everytime I POSTed an existing contact since 7/20 (when I first saw this output).  With your table I now know what to program for.  Again, many thanks.

I am curious, tho, how I could have found this page of error codes without your direct link to it.  Where is it referenced in the documentation?

--Lars

Lars Greninger

Hero Arts development

Thanks Lars, I'm investigating the change in 409 error messages as I noticed those over my weekend testing as well.  If there has been a change to those I will hopefully have an update soon.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page