cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Need to be able to see engagement level

Need to be able to see engagement level

Hello, I am incredibly impressed with the level of service I have received form Constant Contact and tell folks all the time it is the best company I have ever worked with. However, that being said there is something I need or else I will be looking elsewhere for service(I HATE SAYING THAT). You need to include a column in the reports section that we can export. We need to be able to see the engagement level of our customers so we can order them from greatest to lease and vice versa. From a sales perspective this is a must. I can remove hundreds from my list that have never opened an e-mail or I can call the folks in person that have opened everything I have sent. Without this ability I am missing HUGE opportunities to know who is hot and who is cold. Please do this ASAP, I have been asking for 6 months and have seen nothing yet. I DO NOT WANT TO LEAVE CONSTANT CONTACT! Please!!
148 Comments

Would like to be able to see at a click how often a contact clicks on links in emails (and which links) or how often they open the emails. Currently, the list under engagement is a jumble of not very useful information, and it's not hot linked to that deeper information.

Occasional Contributor
The Engagement tab doesn’t actually show engagement. I can’t see what links were clicked, what were the links, how often did the contact interact with the e-mail. Insert a summary that includes numbers or graphs showing engagement. (The old “Email History” gave a bigger overall view.) The search feature is no longer robust. Bring back the Advance Search feature. I can’t search for what’s in my custom fields. I can’t search for information jotted in the Notes section. Bring back those search abilities. The best new feature is being able to create a list of contacts who didn’t open my e-mail.
Occasional Contributor

Here’s how I would like to use the Engagement tab.

Scenario #1: I have 3 newsletters. Bob subscribes to all 3. I would like the Engagement tab to show me quickly which of the newsletters (or lists) does Bob open and click-through.

You could show me this as percentage. Bob opens ABC newsletter 10% of the time during X months/weeks. Or you could show me engagement via a line graph and then I’ll be able to track and see Bob’s open/click-through trend/history.

Scenario #2: I have 2 newsletters: One is for dog lovers and the other for cat lovers. Bob subscribed to both. But I want to be able to view quickly Bob’s open history. From his open history I can determine that Bob is more of a dog lover and then remove him for the cat lover list because he’s not that engaged with that newsletter anyway.

Here’s why I need a more robust search function.

Scenario #1: I create custom fields because my subscribers are also members of my company. All members get member numbered IDs. Sometimes I need to do a quick search of all the members with that ID.

Scenario #2: I jot down information about a subscriber and place that info into the Notes section. Sometimes I need to do a quick search of all the people who I gave a particular note to. For example, I jot down that I changed a member’s subscription. Then I search for keyword “subscription” to see all the other members whose subscription I've changed. (This type of situation doesn’t need the sophistication of the new tagging system, just the ability to search for the note later on.)

When looking at email reports, the info listed for documents in the CC library are shown with the URL that gets assigned them. It would be more useful for reviewing if the document name was listed instead.
Visitor
I like a lot of the news changes, but wish in the click through report we could still click on the links in the left column to see what pages clicked through to open. We used to be able to do that, but today I found that I now need to copy the link and paste it in a new tab in order to see the page that users clicked through to view. Maybe those links could be hot linked again, so we don't have to go to this extra step? Thanks
Advisor
The links this feature do not work as links. We must copy paste the url just to see which link is what.

What is happening with the reports system. Some new features are very logical other features just seem wrong.

Why do I want lots of graphics in my on screen reports.

1) A list of envelopes showing the "engagements" of a reader is of no use if I can not click on what those engagements were. My reader has had 171 engagements and I have no idea which one of the 6 links in the last email they read from looking at their record. I have to go into the individual links one by one to see what happened.

2) A nice alphabetical list or readers of an email is fine but do I need to have the number of readers as a large graphic and a separation of each letter. I would guess most users of reports on screen want the maximum amount of data not a graphics?

Occasional Contributor
Bring this ability back. Before I speak to a contact again, i found it is very useful to glance at how many times an email was opened. I can gauge interest and prepare my thoughts
Solution Provider

Experiencing multiple issues.  I am sorry to be so negative, but you have removed so many features that those of us who are long time customers are really feeling the pain. I spent 2-3 hours on the phone with two of your CS people and resolved very little. (Your CS people are great! Here is kudo's to Sara in Colorado!) I applaud efforts to make contact management better, however if it was not broken why get rid of it? Here are specifics:  You have removed many features that we use constantly. You have removed those contacts that were kept in a remove file with out warning me. We can no longer look up a contact and see a tally of opens, clicks, or bounces. You are making us scroll through the engagements and count each entry to see how many opens. When using resend you no longer allow us to see which contacts will be sent to. You no longer allow us to manage bounces by placing them in a remove file for later editing, exporting, or storing in a list. The new import system with the ability to have multiple records for single email addresses will be helpful, BUT you should have given a heads up on the changes for importing contacts so we could make adjustments before the upgrade. Now it is too late and I will have to remove all contacts from CC and rebuild all of our contacts as they do not conform to the new merge or match import method. I have been informed that the tracking for a contact will no longer be strictly by the email address. The explanation was a bit fuzzy but it appears that is is now possible to resend tan email to an email address if there are multiple name associated with a single address.   I train people in using Constant Contact and most of the training I do is in contact management - working with customer data bases, contact import, and list management. Database management development within the CC environment is a good thing, as It's an area many people have problems with. If, as the CS people stated, it is true that you developed this upgrade based on feedback from customers than I have to say that your customers do not understand database management and are a poor data resource for upgrade development. That may be a bit harsh, but the few benefits of the upgrade do not come close to making up for the ease iof operation and individual contact activity data that has been lost. And, I have to bring it up again, how do we retrieve those contacts that were held temporarily in remove folders that have now disappeared but seem to still be included in our overall counts? Those were actual customers and I need them back. My best to the staff who are tasked with fixing the glitches and having to deal with us irate customers. Sincerely, Dave.

All Star

why can't I see what was clicked on in the contact view - doesnt help me to know they just clicked - i need details

Occasional Participant
I miss the history section. I would like to know who is clicking all the time. I miss being able to see who has unsubscribed on the front page. I liked being able to see more hits at once. I liked being able to see if the contact added themselves. I would like to suggest a column that ranked who hit the most times, so that I can target those customers with a personal letter. The new history section is not nearly as clear as the old one. I could see that they hit 2 times on my last letter, and 5 times on this one, for example. I do like the new section on who has not yet opened the email. Especially with the new Google format, they may not be going into the right slot, so I can write them and ask if they have received the letter.
Frequent Visitor

In the old version, when I clicked on a contact and looked at their information I could literally see all information connected to that contact. I just had a client call and said that they didn't get an email. I went to their contact info and it said, the email was "not delivered" with no explaination. The "Engagement" list lacks REAL information that is helpful in diagnosing the problem. I couldn't see get to a bounce history on the contact info page. I had to go to Email > Reports > and select the email and look through all the emails that were bounced to find them...... then I saw the bounce reason was "Other". This isn't helpful in the least. I have no way of ensuring that this client recieves emails in the future. 

I'm unhappy about a lot of the same things that everyone else is voicing. I just didn't see anyone mention this specifically.

to summarize... I'm spending more time clicking, watching loading screens, scrolling through lists, and not finding what I'm looking for. Even after looking through your help documents. Take a lesson from better email providers and do a soft launch, so that people don't have to use a broken system while waiting for fixes. If you could provide a way to use the older version while updates are made to the new version, that would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Visitor
I would like a way to see people that have had no activity (not opened, not seen newsletters) over a long period of time. Records were 90 day but you have to look at each contact to see activity. May a chart and listing of people that have not have any activity.
Occasional Contributor

We need to have all of the engagement links hot so we can open each engagement to see what a contact clicked on. It used to be this way and now it is gone. This prevents a business owner from knowing what a particular contact is doing unless the business owner searches through every report for every email campaign.

Visitor
Impossible to find all multiple open under new system because cannot down load All opens to Excell and then sort. Doing this is vital
Frequent Visitor

Neither do I, this is because they changed the system to this "Engagement" system that does not allow us anymore to see the particular activity of a contact in a neat way.  Please, guys, again, change this or give us back the excellent previous version.  This is taking too long.

Lucia

Regular Visitor

The old format gave us more options to manage our contacts. I really hate to be forced into new formats without any choice. This is not helpful at all!

All Star
It is no longer intuitive and seems like a lot more clicks to update an address.
Occasional Visitor
where did it go?
Solution Provider

I used to be able to click on Unique opens and see who THE LAST PERSON TO OPEN IT WAS!! Now you report alphabetically by month IT SUCKS. I don't want to have to export and sort each day to see who the last unique open was. This is a HUGE waste of my time and NOT why I use CC. I am also responsible for 6 other accounts for colleagues and I would hate to have to take us all to another email host. I used to also be able to click on their name and see how many times they opened that month and what they clicked on. PLEASE I BEG YOU CHANGE THIS!!! I have addressed this issue with no fewer than 6 people at CC on the phone and have previously sent feedback.

I posted last week regarding my dissatisfaction with the new changes, and the more that I work with the new system, the more I'm getting frustrated with this particular change. 

It used to be that I could look up a specific contact's email, and then get a quick table of numbers showing exactly which emails they've opened, and how many times per email. Now, it only states "opened", which I have to read the title of (no handy scrolling looking for a number other than "0") which makes it more time consuming. To make matters even more annoying, it does not record on that same line item, if the email was opened multiple times. This is particularly annoying, as instead the system now creates multiple SEPARATE entries for each time the email is opened. 

The way it used to be:

Email Name ___Sent ___ Times Opened 

Email 1____Oct 3____ 0

Email 2____Oct 2____ 2

Email 3____Oct 1____ 5

The way it is now

Opened Email One

Opened Email Three

Sent Email Three

Opened Email One

Sent Email Two

Opened Email One

Opened Email One

Sent Email One

This is infuriating, as it forces me to have to waste time digging through every instance of that particular email in the feed and then to add up the numbers myself. Also, having to read the wording of every title in order to determine if the report was opened or just sent, when previously I could visually just scan down the column easily and go "0, 2, 0, 3, 9, 1". I could see at an immediate glance which emails my contact was drawn to. 

Why go from a working system that collated these numbers for you to the opposite? I can understand that some people want to see the exact times they were opened, which I can't remember if the old system allowed for, but the original option should still be available to us that prefer to see quantity of opens without having to sit here and count emails by hand, and possibly make the mistake of missing one? At the very least, if the system must stay this way and we aren't allowed to have a chart of opens anymore, please make the list collate a master line item like so:

Opened Email One

- Opened on 10/2/2013 9:47am

- Opened on 10/2/2013 10:47am

- Opened on 10/2/2013 11:47am

Opened Email Two

Opened Email Three

That way once we locate the email in question, we can see all instances of the opens ourselves right there, without having to keep scrolling for any more entries regarding that particular email. 

To me, this is a common sense approach. The way the system is implemented right now is beyond frustrating and time consuming in placing the onus on the user to do collate and dig through, when the previous setup was not broke and delivered exactly what we needed. 

Also, a side note - When I spoke to a representative last week about some of the changes, I was immediately advised to go to the email it self's records of opens and look for the contact there. Unfortunately, that's not what I look at. I look at a specific CONTACT's record of opens, to see which emails are most successful for him/her. It's again counter-intuitive and more time consuming to have to go email by email to see if this particular contact appears on that email's open list, when I should be able to look at the contact's own history to see this information.  

Occasional Visitor

Also, the new e.mail set up is harder to use. Do not like any of the changes I have used. Would love it to all go back to the way it was!!

Occasional Visitor

On the contacts??? It says some now have duplicates and you cannot do that, but it will not let you delete the extra one. What?? I lost contacts also in this whole "Upgrade" thing. This is not making me want to continue to use constant contact. This has really been a headache for our office staff. Please do something to fix it. PLease!

Occasional Visitor
I can't view what my contacts are opening...I have no idea what they like.....clicking on pics to links?? I liked the other version. The search engine was better when you were trying to see if you already had a contact. PLEASE FIX IT!!!!!
Regular Visitor
Hi, I like the new layout for the contacts, but I wish that CC had kept the old way of viewing the engagements - in a matrix. It was much easier to read. Also, in one quick glance you could tell if that contact had opened, clicked, or forwarded any particular email. Now you have to scroll through the list, which does not even differentiate via a different color or font if the person has done anything. Much less efficient, not user friendly, and badly designed.
Visitor
It should show what was the text that the link displayed in the newsletter. Seeing the URL string is no help. I have to click on the URL in the report to see which page it was that they were clicking through on. I'm pretty sure the reports used to display the link's text.

I greatly preferred the previous email history format which listed email campaigns chronologically and the number of times the contact opened a particular campaign. It was also easy to see a contacts openings and bounce records. Now if a contact opens a campaign 60 times (it happens, people forward) I'd have to scroll through all the Engagement history trying to get an idea of recent history. Please go back to what was working better!!!

Visitor
Before the update, I could see not only when they were added, but whether the contact added themselves or if we did. I could get a bounce history, and many more details about the contact and interaction. This was very helpful and the new setup is not. I know you can go to each email's report to get some of this information, but it is best to have it there and on the contact details.
Regular Visitor
Under engagement - it would be nice to see sent email and read email next to each other (as in a column) it is cumbersome to read the way it is now and to match up emails. Would be able to see quicker if in a column format.
Visitor
I had 2 people on the unsub list, but it didn' t list them unsubscribing as an engagement.
All Star
Rather than starting over, I'll send the chat I just had with Help: You: 1st: what does it mean when it says Sent? like he sent the email somewhere? Travis 😧 It should just have sent once per email as that would be when the email was actually sent to him. You: So Sent means "I Sent" but Opened means "Contact opened"? Travis 😧 Yep, exactly! You: Which i think is not clear on your part Travis 😧 Well I definitely apologize for that luckily however once you know its pretty easy to get going. You: If the subject of the verb is missing, it should be consistent You: So I get it now You: Pass it on to your programmers You: Second question: You: Used to be able to tell what he clicked on, now it seems not Travis 😧 Yes, it should actually tell you per contact in the engagement tab however you can also check to see who click on specific links from the reports page on the email tab. You: Not seeing it. You: There is nothing to click on where it says Clicked Travis 😧 If they haven't clicked any links then it you wouldn't be able to view it however you can always check that from the reports under email and it should allow you to see who has clicked on it. If it was just clicked though the system can take up to 2 hours to update the information depending on the speed of the receiving mail server and internet congestion. You: No, this was clicked a long time ago, but it doesn't say what he clicked on You: I don't want to have to go through the reports. I want to be able to see by contact what they clicked on Travis 😧 I definitely apologize but it doesn't look like that is currently available within the contact details currently. What we normally recommend doing for any updates you would like to see in the system however is use the blue feedback button in the bottom right of your screen. You: That's a step backwards then.
Visitor
how do I view which emails the contact opened?

Just an addendum to my earlier post. 

I'm continuing to use these features, and instead of feeling more comfortable or understanding these changes, I'm just getting more frustrated with the lack of features that I used to have. Even gaining familiarity with the new changes is not doing anything to make these changes any easier to use. 

I feel that the layout of an individual's Contact information is extremely unsatisfying. The most important and largest section of date we use (the interactions by a single contact with all of the emails we send them, as explained in my post above) is confined to a small scrolling window on the right side of the screen. Meanwhile, the contact's name, phone, lists, etc, takes up the lions share of the screen. Why couldn't this be reversed. The layout reserves what should be the smallest block of info for the largest section, and delegated the largest block of info for an area so small it requires it's own inset scrolling window? What was the common sense in that?

With the large font size and inordinate amount of white spacing between fields, it reminds me of when you tell a student that they must turn in a three page typed report, and they attempt to fool you by using double space typing & larger margins in order to make what's really only a one page report into a three pager. That's the most apt description I can come up with, because I see absolutely no reason for the increased spacing and font sizes other than 'it looks good'. It doesn't, honestly, and is making our lives harder due to the reduced amount of reporting area. We want those numbers, reports, and lists available, and in a usable, fuctional, compact format. 

To add insult, today I got an emailed survey asking me what features I consider most important of the new changes. Why wasn't that survey sent before these changes were implemented? 

All Star

Totally agree - it used to be so easy to add new contacts to a specific list - ---- now it's ridiculously difficult - way to totally screw up something that was simple

test since last time i spent time listing problems only to be told had to log in to submit when i was logged in.
Visitor
The new engagement box is too busy and not helpful. Go back to a table showing numbers of opens, clicks, and forwards, and why an email didn't go through (non-existent email address, mailbox full, etc).
The new contact reporting system is very cumbersome. The old on ewas much better, you open a contact's history and you can immediately see what they've opened if they clicked on something multiple times if they opened something multiple times with the exact number shown, now you have to count it by hand and it's imossible to copy and paste these histories - makes data analysis very hard. Please change the email history look to what it was before.
Visitor

I am disappointed that I no longer have the ability to check what and why an email bounced within the specific person's contact information page.  Instead I have to look at each sent email to see if that specific contact received the sent email. This makes no sense, and I sincerely hope this issue will be corrected immediately. 

Occasional Visitor
On a contact page, I see their engagement. Wish I could see which link they clicked. I could see it before, but not anymore :( Love most of the other new features though!!!
I can't figure out how to read email history from my contact list
Regular Visitor
The engagement list for a single contact is not as well organized as it used to be. Before, I could easily see and sort how many opens, clicks and bounces a contact had for all the emails sent. Now I have to scan a long list, hoping to find the info I'm looking for and only the bare bones of information is available. It is time consuming, not as informative and burdensome to use. My boss likes to see a report of unsubscribed contacts each month. While the new reports page is delightfully interactive, after many searches, I am yet to find where I can see a list of our unsubscribes by date. Before you could export informative reports sorted by date with name and reason for leaving. Now, it's just a fancy graph and some gigantic buttons. Please bring back the tools we need to cultivate our contacts properly.
Guys you cant easily see what emails which contacts opened and clicked on. you could in the old version. The engagement screen is ultimately pointless. Who cares what grey email lists they recieved? this is the most basic info. What emails did they open, how many times did they click on which link? where is this info? Also make this info available in the search menu. ie if you search for all @pepsi.com emails I want to see all the emails sent, clicks and opens for all these @pepsi.com emails search results
Occasional Advisor
Under email reports> unique clicks> list of URLs clicked and readers names> select reader name the detail clicks are not clickable in the box with elevator to show all links clicked by an individual reader. Example, I place 6 product links in an email. Later I want to target market Joe Doe with all the product links he clicked w/o having to pull his name from 6 individual URL link reports. Terry Wilson unitedfarmers
Valued Contributor

Fully agree - it is urgent that you. fix this.

Previously I would remove bounced or undeliverable emails manually. It was easy to scan 90 days of open history for the contact in question. I was finding previously that email addresses CC was telling me were undeliverable were somehow still opening so I would leave them in. If a contact showed no open history in 90 days then I would manually delete. It's impossible to see that info with this new format.
Occasional Advisor
This is a waste of space. In the good old days we could actually see data on which links the contact clicked. Now all we see is a cryptic list that does not open to reveal any additional information, Make is useful or get rid of it. Impress me with functionality not a lot of fluff filler to make it appear the IT folks are actually doing more than just annoying thousands of electrons to fill empty space.
Occasional Participant
I used to be able to search and modify contacts within an email list. I now have to go page by page through thousands of our emails to find the few I am looking for. I also find that most of the time the email lists showing are barely half of the email lists we have. I have to log in and out to get to scroll down to the email list I am looking for. Loves the old search function better!
Regular Visitor
I am in the reporting section and want to review which contacts clicked which URL links. Before... I was able to click on the contact number that clicked the link, see the names and then there was a URL link available for me to click and review what they clicked. Now I am having a to do multiple clicks back and forth from the names back out to the link and hope I remembered how far down the list I am and that I clicked the right one. I do not want to "Export" everything (an export of the ENTIRE Clicked would be nice). I see the URL link above but having to copy and paste into my browser is again another step. We have multiple links in our email and this has made creating a report of the people who clicked what link very cumbersome. PLEASE REVIEW THIS PROCESS!!! There has to be a better way!!
Visitor
Absolutely ridiculous that your columns represent the rows of a spreadsheet and vice versa and your application does not offer horizontal scrolling. Why make the user recreate a matrice with column/row cell positions of the information they want to import when the old way offered a visual by scrolling so we could actually see what information they want to import. Also, the Email Lists on the left are to cramped. Please, please go back to the former method or improve on it somewhat, your rows and columns should correspond to a spread sheet's rows and columns.
Visitor
Is there any way I can get a report of engagement record for a specific contact? at least the last 10 campaigns. Thanks