Master email marketing fundamentals and transform your business. Join the Ready, Set, Send Challenge!

Lists, segments and tags

SOLVED
Go to solution
MaryH99
Campaign Contributor

We originally set up constant contact with many different lists and we aren't utilizing segments and tags. It's been recommended that we get all of our contacts into one list and separate them by segments and tags.

Can we just use "tags" and not "segments"? The reason I ask is for the most part our contacts are "customers"  but they receive information based on the species they have on their farm. So I'm thinking I don't need segments - or actually don't know how to use segments to set up "categories of customers" Dairy, Beef, Other, Webinar participant. I'm thinking I can just use "tags" for that - but maybe not?

Look forward to your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Elizabeth_K
Employee

Hi, @MaryH99!

This is a great question, and I think your example of customer categories for Dairy, Beef, Other, etc..  used as tags is spot on! Lists, tags, and segments can be used in any combination to fit your unique needs, and there is no official right answer. You can keep your existing lists and still use tags and segments. 

Think of your lists as general buckets that are full of contacts. Tags let you apply labels to specific contacts in each bucket. When you use tags, you don't have to pick through the bucket to find the contacts with the label, it's done automatically. (For example, send an email and exclude everyone with Dairy tag.) Then when you add segmentation you can also find everyone with that same tag and couple them with things like their email opening and clicking habits. (For example, create a segment with any contact with the Dairy tag that opened my last 5 emails.)

Then it comes down to what you do with the results. Since you've just filtered your contacts to find very specific results, you can send very specific content to those contacts. It helps you keep your emails shorter and you don't have to write "a little something for everyone" content that can distract from your main call-to-action.

You might find this Community article helpful too. Let us know how you end up using tags and segments!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Elizabeth_K
Employee

Hi, @MaryH99!

This is a great question, and I think your example of customer categories for Dairy, Beef, Other, etc..  used as tags is spot on! Lists, tags, and segments can be used in any combination to fit your unique needs, and there is no official right answer. You can keep your existing lists and still use tags and segments. 

Think of your lists as general buckets that are full of contacts. Tags let you apply labels to specific contacts in each bucket. When you use tags, you don't have to pick through the bucket to find the contacts with the label, it's done automatically. (For example, send an email and exclude everyone with Dairy tag.) Then when you add segmentation you can also find everyone with that same tag and couple them with things like their email opening and clicking habits. (For example, create a segment with any contact with the Dairy tag that opened my last 5 emails.)

Then it comes down to what you do with the results. Since you've just filtered your contacts to find very specific results, you can send very specific content to those contacts. It helps you keep your emails shorter and you don't have to write "a little something for everyone" content that can distract from your main call-to-action.

You might find this Community article helpful too. Let us know how you end up using tags and segments!

MaryH99
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

Thanks

Elizabeth_K
Employee
0 Votes

You're welcome! Happy to help :smileyface:

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
SEP 30
How to Segment Your Email List in Constant Contact
11AM - 12PM EST