Discover Effective Email Template Design Tips for Non-Profits

Optimal image size for emails

SOLVED
Go to solution
SarahMadderom
Rookie
0 Votes

We are adding advertisers to our school news letter and they are asking me what image size I want the advertisement for the email so their digital editor can create it for me. What size should digital images be (or not exceed) for emails - not social posts, but a weekly newsletter that goes out to our families.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @SarahMadderom ,

For the advertisers, it's going to depend on whether they're trying to do banners that are much shorter than they are wide, or if they're doing large singular images with multiple brands spread throughout, or doing standalone images for each individual brand. How they want to add the ads will drastically affect the recommendations.

If they're doing a single image with all the brands, then the only thing they need to keep in mind is that we compress images wider than 1200px, meaning they should avoid going larger than that if they want to avoid the possibility of the image becoming blurry. If they're doing individual images for each brand, then the only thing to really keep in mind is how emails rearrange in mobile view, so images larger than 480px will fill the entire width of a mobile device.

If they're doing banners, they need to keep in mind that the default width of emails is 600px, but can be widened up to 1200px. So depending on how tall the banner is as well, you may need to widen your email significantly to accommodate the banner. In mobile, this will likely be the most noticeable if the width is much greater than the height, since the image will be forced down to 480px wide, and its height flattened proportionately.

For simplicity's sake, tell the advertisers that the images should not run any wider than 1200px. If they're doing individual images for each brand, make them particularly small (i.e. icon size - 100x100 max) so the mobile view doesn't become noticeably bloated.

I'd recommend taking a look at these articles for a little more info on optimizing your image sizes, and to make sure you're making adjustments to your email's width as needed for a good desktop view. Make sure to also preview or test send the email in both desktop and mobile formats, prior to sending it out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @SarahMadderom ,

For the advertisers, it's going to depend on whether they're trying to do banners that are much shorter than they are wide, or if they're doing large singular images with multiple brands spread throughout, or doing standalone images for each individual brand. How they want to add the ads will drastically affect the recommendations.

If they're doing a single image with all the brands, then the only thing they need to keep in mind is that we compress images wider than 1200px, meaning they should avoid going larger than that if they want to avoid the possibility of the image becoming blurry. If they're doing individual images for each brand, then the only thing to really keep in mind is how emails rearrange in mobile view, so images larger than 480px will fill the entire width of a mobile device.

If they're doing banners, they need to keep in mind that the default width of emails is 600px, but can be widened up to 1200px. So depending on how tall the banner is as well, you may need to widen your email significantly to accommodate the banner. In mobile, this will likely be the most noticeable if the width is much greater than the height, since the image will be forced down to 480px wide, and its height flattened proportionately.

For simplicity's sake, tell the advertisers that the images should not run any wider than 1200px. If they're doing individual images for each brand, make them particularly small (i.e. icon size - 100x100 max) so the mobile view doesn't become noticeably bloated.

I'd recommend taking a look at these articles for a little more info on optimizing your image sizes, and to make sure you're making adjustments to your email's width as needed for a good desktop view. Make sure to also preview or test send the email in both desktop and mobile formats, prior to sending it out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
Jul 10
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST