Authentication for Bulk API requests

KerryL47
Rookie
0 Votes

I'm trying to sync data from my server to constant contact and send campaigns. I do not need users to approve my application, but the OAuth in the Constant Contact API requires that I have a redirect URL for a user to grant access to my application. This is very frustrating because I just want server-to-server communication and no clients should approve it, but that's that the new API requires!

3 REPLIES 3
Courtney_E
Employee
0 Votes

Hello KerryL47,

Thank you for reaching out to Constant Contact API Developer Support. My team is here to assist outside software developers with questions about building into Constant Contact's API.

Sorry for any difficulty getting started with authorization, I know the process can seem a little daunting when first getting started. While our expertise is with our API itself as opposed to its implementation within any particular programming language, we are happy to answer any questions pertaining to Constant Contact’s API endpoints, functionality, and documentation.

You should be able to fully automate your integration with the exception of the initial Authorization Request screen and redirect, which can only be accessed/authorized via a browser window and cannot be bypassed, but you should only need to authorize each connected account once.

The Authorization Request screen is only for connecting a Constant Contact account to the integration, so for example if you are making a sign-up form or integration that only connects to one Constant Contact account, only you would access the Authorization Request screen one initial time to connect your account, it wouldn't be visible to people using the form/integration.  When your users are accessing the integration, it will use the token set generated when you initially granted permission to access the connection. 

The only time other people would access the Authorization Request screen is if you are designing an integration that needs to connect to other Constant Contact accounts, as each account needs to grant permission to the integration.

V3 API - OAuth2 Authorization Code Flow

https://v3.developer.constantcontact.com/api_guide/server_flow.html

Please have a look and let us know if you have any other questions!

Regards,

Courtney E.
Tier II API Support Engineer

Did I answer your question?
If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
KerryL47
Rookie
0 Votes

I have fixed this after going through lots of trial and error. Please update the documentation, especially when it comes to OAuth when no user authorization is needed.

Courtney_E
Employee
0 Votes

Hello KerryL47,

Thank you for reaching out to Constant Contact API Developer Support.

Thanks for your reply! Your feedback and experience with this request is essential to improving our product, so thank you for reaching out to us regarding this matter.

Regards,

Courtney E.
Tier II API Support Engineer

Did I answer your question?
If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
Resources
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Announcements

API Updates

Join our list to be notified of new features and updates to our V3 API.