Can API subscribe users to two email lists at once?

SOLVED
Go to solution
hfeenaughty
Rookie
0 Votes

Hi. First time here with a question to ask.

About 2 years ago, I paid a consultant to help me add Constant Contact API code to a user registration web form. It signs up new users to a list that sends a one-time Welcome email.

Now we would like the signup to immediately send the Welcome email PLUS add the user to a weekly email campaign. Is that possible to do in one action? Can we code two separate list requests triggered by a single action in our registration form?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Courtney_E
Employee

Hello hfeenaughty,

Thank you for reaching out to Constant Contact API Developer Support. My team is here to assist outside software developers with questions about building into Constant Contact's API.

Whether you are able to add to multiple lists via the integration you are using will depend on a couple of factors. 

If it’s an integration that was developed by a third party that just has you log in and grant access, choose a list, and then configure the form, you’d need to check whether their settings allow for multiple lists to be selected.

If the integration was developed by or for your organization, then you’d be able to specify the lists within the programming of the application. It looks like the 3rd party integration that you connect with uses our legacy V2 API. 

You would just need to modify the JSON Request Body when calling the Contacts endpoint to include both form IDs like so:

"lists": [

{

"id": "999999999", "id": "222222222"

}

Legacy V2 API Contacts Collection Endpoint

https://v2.developer.constantcontact.com/docs/contacts-api/contacts-collection.html?method=POST

You can easily access your account’s list IDs via the API tester in Mashery*. If for some reason do not have access to your original Mashery account, you can easily create a new one with the instructions below in order to retrieve the desired List IDs:

Obtain a List ID for Legacy V2 API

https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/5892-obtain-a-list-ID-for-apis?lang...

(*Mashery does not use the same UN/PW as your Constant Contact account)

As a side note: 

While no date is currently set, there will be a point in the future where our legacy V2 API will begin deprecation, as the deprecation process for our retired V1 API is nearly complete. Due to this, while we will continue to deploy critical bug fixes at this time, we will not be doing any more development for V2 or its endpoints, and strongly recommend switching to an integration/plugin that utilizes the V3 API (or you can contact the developer of the plugin/application that you use and ask if they plan to release an updated version) to ensure you're ahead of the curve.

Please have a look and let us know if you have any other questions!

Regards,

Courtney E.
Tier II API Support Engineer

Did I answer your question?
If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Courtney_E
Employee

Hello hfeenaughty,

Thank you for reaching out to Constant Contact API Developer Support. My team is here to assist outside software developers with questions about building into Constant Contact's API.

Whether you are able to add to multiple lists via the integration you are using will depend on a couple of factors. 

If it’s an integration that was developed by a third party that just has you log in and grant access, choose a list, and then configure the form, you’d need to check whether their settings allow for multiple lists to be selected.

If the integration was developed by or for your organization, then you’d be able to specify the lists within the programming of the application. It looks like the 3rd party integration that you connect with uses our legacy V2 API. 

You would just need to modify the JSON Request Body when calling the Contacts endpoint to include both form IDs like so:

"lists": [

{

"id": "999999999", "id": "222222222"

}

Legacy V2 API Contacts Collection Endpoint

https://v2.developer.constantcontact.com/docs/contacts-api/contacts-collection.html?method=POST

You can easily access your account’s list IDs via the API tester in Mashery*. If for some reason do not have access to your original Mashery account, you can easily create a new one with the instructions below in order to retrieve the desired List IDs:

Obtain a List ID for Legacy V2 API

https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/5892-obtain-a-list-ID-for-apis?lang...

(*Mashery does not use the same UN/PW as your Constant Contact account)

As a side note: 

While no date is currently set, there will be a point in the future where our legacy V2 API will begin deprecation, as the deprecation process for our retired V1 API is nearly complete. Due to this, while we will continue to deploy critical bug fixes at this time, we will not be doing any more development for V2 or its endpoints, and strongly recommend switching to an integration/plugin that utilizes the V3 API (or you can contact the developer of the plugin/application that you use and ask if they plan to release an updated version) to ensure you're ahead of the curve.

Please have a look and let us know if you have any other questions!

Regards,

Courtney E.
Tier II API Support Engineer

Did I answer your question?
If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
Resources
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Announcements

API Updates

Join our list to be notified of new features and updates to our V3 API.