Connecting Constant Contact to Divi email optin module

jeffh824
Rookie

I'm trying to connect my Constant Contact account to my website. We use Divi themes on Wordpress. Divi has an email optin module that is asking for the API Key and Access Token for my Constant Contact account. Where can I obtain this information? I've reached out via phone to Tier 1 and Teir 2 customer support and was told I need to be an app developer! Really? How is this not presented in the My Setting page?

Anyone familiar with this?

7 REPLIES 7
Stephen_T
Employee
0 Votes

Hello @jeffh824,

Thank you for reaching out to Constant Contact API Developer Support and I apologize you were informed you needed to be an app developer to obtain that information. My team is here to assist outside software developers with questions about building into Constant Contact's API.

When it comes to obtaining API Key and Access Token information we use Mashery for our V2 API however with the new implementation of our V3 API that's managed all within Constant Contact via the developer portal where you're able to review documentation and view your API keys.

Divi appears to be asking for V2 API information, below is a link to documentation which goes through the steps on how to obtain an API Key and Access Token.

How to generate an API Key and Access Token:
https://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Community-News/How-to-generate-an-API-Key-and-Access-Token/...

Once again I apologize that you were informed you needed to be an app developer to obtain that information. Please have a look and reply directly to this post if you have any other questions!

Regards,

Stephen T.
API Support Engineer
Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
RichardT2447
Rookie
0 Votes

I am also having trouble connecting my client's Constant Contact account with his DIVI Email Optin module. I've used both the v2 and v3 tools mentioned above to generate keys and tokens, and when I enter them, they seem to be accepted... however my client's email contact list does not show up in the drop-down menu. I'm stumped... seems to be a very difficult and problematic integration. MailChimp is much easier! I don't know what to do at this point.

Courtney_E
Employee
0 Votes

Hello RichardT2447,

Thank you for reaching out to Constant Contact API Developer Support. My team is here to assist outside software developers with questions about building into Constant Contact's API.

For this integration, it looks like you need to generate a V2 API Key and Access Token. Below is a link to documentation on how to obtain an API Key and Access Token along with documentation on how to implement that information into the DIVI/Bloom plugin:

How to generate an API Key and Access Token:
https://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Community-News/How-to-generate-an-API-Key-and-Access-Token/...

Connecting Constant Contact and DIVI/Bloom:
https://www.elegantthemes.com/documentation/bloom/accounts/#constantcontact

Regards,

Courtney E.
Tier II API Support Engineer

Did I answer your question?
If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
JenE53
Rookie
0 Votes

So the moderators are showing a solution that worked with an old version of Constant Contact where they actually had an "Generate Token" button... At what point did someone decide that was a bad idea and that it was in their client's best interest to hide that button and make it impossible to generate a Token?

Is there anything that can explain how to get it other than that 2017 irrelevant post? Also the Divi post is based on the old and surprisingly way better interface, so neither of the links here actually works...

Courtney_E
Employee
0 Votes

Hello JenE53,

Thank you for reaching out to Constant Contact API Developer Support. My team is here to assist outside software developers with questions about building into Constant Contact's API.

We currently have two different versions of our API (V2 and V3), so the steps you take to generate an API key will depend on what version of our API the integration you are looking to connect was built with, as they are created through different platforms and are not cross compatible.

Divi / Bloom's 3rd party integration uses Constant Contact's legacy V2 API to connect, which does allow token generation via the Mashery portal where those keys are generated.

If the app you are using is asking you to also provide an “Access Token” with your API key, then it most likely utilizes our legacy V2 API (as is the case with Divi / Bloom's integration) , and the steps at the following link are still applicable to that process:

*You will need to create a Mashery login for V2, as it does not use the same UN/PW as your Constant Contact account

If the app you are using is asking you for an API Key and Secret, then it most likely utilizes our current V3 API.  Your 3rd party integration may also provide you with the Redirect URI to add to your key. For these types of apps you would follow steps 1-3 at the following link.: https://v3.developer.constantcontact.com/api_guide/apps_create.html

Please have a look and let us know if you have any other questions!

Regards,

Courtney E.

If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
L29126
Rookie
0 Votes

I connected Constant Contact with the Divi email opt-in. It collects the new sign-ups. That's the good news. But Constant Contact does not send the auto-Welcome email I set up. I was told by customer service, the Welcome email will only be generated if new sign-ups use a Constant Contact sign-up form(which I would need to embed on my site). Can you confirm this is the case? If so, my understanding is the auto welcome email will not work if the sign-up form was created through Divi's email opt-in module.

Courtney_E
Employee

Hello L29126,

Constant Contact provides developers with free access to our V3 API endpoints for developers building their own application for integration. The way contacts are added by 3rd party built integrations to your account will depend on how they were built by the 3rd party developers. 

The article below goes into it a little more in-depth:

Welcome Email and COI behaviors when using an API or a 3rd Party Integration/Plugin/Sign-Up form

https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/5903-how-apis-affect-autoresponders...

As far as resolving the issue, you could try one of the following:

-Use a list-join automation series instead of a Welcome Email, as they are triggered when a contact is added to a list, rather than by how the contact is added to the account.

-Otherwise, you could look into using a different integration/form that adds contacts in a way that is compatible with the Welcome Email.

For help with creating a list-join automated email series within the Constant Contact Website UI, please reach out to our Support Team at 866-289-2101.

Please have a look and let us know if you have any other questions!

Regards,

Courtney E.

Resources
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Announcements

API Updates

Join our list to be notified of new features and updates to our V3 API.