Does json import endpoint overwrite the list memberships of an existing contact

DanielH547
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

I write to the json import endpoint a list of contacts in "import_data" and one list id in "list_ids". Let's say one of those contacts is already in Constant Contact. That contact is a part of the "Second List" list. In my json import, I'm re-importing that contact with only one list in the "list_ids": "First List".

If I were to run the import, would the contact's membership to "Second List" be removed?

1 REPLY 1
Courtney_E
Employee
0 Votes

Hello DanielH547,

Thank you for reaching out to Constant Contact API Developer Support. My team is here to assist outside software developers with questions about building into Constant Contact's API.

Both of V3's  Bulk Import endpoints (JSON and CSV) work similarly to uploading a file via the Website UI, in that it will only add list memberships (rather than remove any), and will only update contact fields that are provided via the file based on the email address of the contact.

If you were to add a contact via one of the Bulk Import endpoints to list C, but they were already on lists A and B, they would now be on lists A, B, and C.

Import Contacts using a JSON Payload

(POST /activities/contacts_json_import)

https://developer.constantcontact.com/api_reference/index.html#!/Bulk_Activities/bulkImportContactsJ...

Import Contacts using a CSV File

(POST /activities/contacts_file_import)

https://developer.constantcontact.com/api_reference/index.html#!/Bulk_Activities/contactsCSVImport

Please have a look and let us know if you have any other questions!

Regards,

Courtney E.
Tier II API Support Engineer

Did I answer your question?
If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
Resources
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Announcements

API Updates

Join our list to be notified of new features and updates to our V3 API.