POST to /contacts/sign_up_form not adding as explicit

SOLVED
Go to solution
NickA804
Rookie
0 Votes

Hi,

Your documentation states that accounts created with this method (/contacts/sign_up_form) will be given explicit permission but in my tests the accounts created are created with pending permission. Did I make an error or has there been changes and if so what do I need to add to make the emails added have explicit permission as customer will already have confirmed their email requests at this point. Sample test email is "tiny@eternalskincare.ca" which I added with this method earlier today.

"When this method creates a new contact, it returns a 201 response code and automatically sets the contact's permission_to_send property as explicit and the opt_in_source property as Contact.

When this method updates an existing contact, it returns a 200 response code and overwrites the contact's permission_to_send property with explicit. Updating a deleted contact restores the contact."

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
David_B.
Employee
0 Votes

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to Constant Contact API Developer Support.

It sounds like the account to which you are adding contacts has Confirmed Opt In turned on. While what you described is how contacts are added by default, when Confirmed Opt In is turned on contacts that sign themselves up are first placed into a pending (or "Awaiting Confirmation") status, and a confirmation email is sent to them. Once they click the link in that email confirming they wish to receive email, they will be updated to Explicit.

See here for details about Confirmed Opt In:

http://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/5533-obtain-permission-to-send-email...

In the meantime, I'll bring this to our documentation team to see about getting something added to the docs about this as well.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Regards,

David B.
Tier II API Support Engineer

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
David_B.
Employee
0 Votes

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to Constant Contact API Developer Support.

It sounds like the account to which you are adding contacts has Confirmed Opt In turned on. While what you described is how contacts are added by default, when Confirmed Opt In is turned on contacts that sign themselves up are first placed into a pending (or "Awaiting Confirmation") status, and a confirmation email is sent to them. Once they click the link in that email confirming they wish to receive email, they will be updated to Explicit.

See here for details about Confirmed Opt In:

http://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/5533-obtain-permission-to-send-email...

In the meantime, I'll bring this to our documentation team to see about getting something added to the docs about this as well.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Regards,

David B.
Tier II API Support Engineer

Resources
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Announcements

API Updates

Join our list to be notified of new features and updates to our V3 API.