Export segments with more fields, view contacts with more field

SOLVED
Go to solution
WiltonDems
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

I want to be able to export segments with additional fields, such as phone number, address, etc. I cannot find any way to do this! When exporting a segment, fields seem to be limited to name, email, date added. I can export my entire list with all fields, is there any way to export my segment with all, or a selection of, fields? 

I would also like to be able to select any of my fields in "Modify Columns" to display in the main Contact view. 

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

There's nothing you're missing, the export functionality for segments just doesn't have the ability to export all data at this time, which is why I explicitly suggested the workaround of making a brand new list, adding your segment to that list, and then exporting the contacts in that segment-list to get the info you're needing. You don't need to keep that list after exporting, it's simply the workaround to make sure you're getting all info exported from a segmented group of contacts.

On the second part, you can have up to a maximum of 7 columns visible at a time. Please note that some columns aren't going to be available for sorting - such as custom fields, zip codes, or phone numbers. I strongly recommend following along with the article I linked earlier on this topic so you have a step-by-step guide, notes on certain nuances or tricks, and visual references regarding contact column modifying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @WiltonDems ,

For the first part, if you're needing additional info, I'd recommend making a list from your segment (Actions > Add to list > Create), then export the contacts from that newly made list with the info needed.

For the second part, you can modify what columns display while viewing the contacts dashboard, as well as for individual lists.

William A
WiltonDems
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply William.

First part: I've seen you can create a list as you describe. I understand that when importing contacts I can chose a list to add them to. However, this does not work when I import a list of contacts, each of whom may belong to a variety of lists:

When I create a list to import, I tag each contact with appropriate tags. I have created Segments based on each tag, and once imported, each contact is automatically included in their relevant Segments -- contacts may belong to one or more of 12 segments. In the scenario where I have a List created from each Segment, I can add all contacts to my main List (all my contacts), but since the contacts I’m importing may belong to different "segment" lists, I cannot select any of the “segment” lists as that would add all contacts to the “segment” list. I’d have to manually edit each contact to add them to their appropriate "segment" list. That's an extra step and kind of defeats the purpose of having segments as far as I can tell.

And when exporting from a List, I can choose to export any or all of my fields, but when exporting a Segment, the only fields I can export are email, name, and date added. Hard to understand why I can choose any field when exporting a List, but have very limited fields to chose from when exporting a Segment.  Am I missing something? 

Second part: Modify Columns lets you choose from a limited number of fields. I have other fields in my database, notably phone number, that are not available to include in the column view. Again, am I missing something?

It seems like it would be fairly easy, when either viewing or exporting a Segment, to provide the ability to select any of the available fields, as you can when you are exporting a List.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help. 

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

There's nothing you're missing, the export functionality for segments just doesn't have the ability to export all data at this time, which is why I explicitly suggested the workaround of making a brand new list, adding your segment to that list, and then exporting the contacts in that segment-list to get the info you're needing. You don't need to keep that list after exporting, it's simply the workaround to make sure you're getting all info exported from a segmented group of contacts.

On the second part, you can have up to a maximum of 7 columns visible at a time. Please note that some columns aren't going to be available for sorting - such as custom fields, zip codes, or phone numbers. I strongly recommend following along with the article I linked earlier on this topic so you have a step-by-step guide, notes on certain nuances or tricks, and visual references regarding contact column modifying.

William A
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST