Importing Potential Duplicate Records

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bristolyc
Rookie

I want to import a spreadsheet of contact records, including an email for each record, into my CC environment. I suspect there might be existing records in CC for some of the records I want to import. The existing data in CC is MORE accurate and up-to-date that the data in the spreadsheet that I want to import. Thus if one of the records I import matches an existing record in CC I want the data in CC to persist and I want the data I am importing for that record to be tossed out. Can I set this up in CC? If not I can probably find a hack to do this in XLS and a massive export of all the records in my CC environment but that might be a big pain in the you-know-what. Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator

Hello @Bristolyc ,

Anytime you import a file into your CTCT account, our system will treat that as the most up-to-date info - including for re-imports. Therefore, if you're wanting to not have your file import overwrite the information in place for already-imported contacts, you'll need to make sure they're not in that file. 

One potential way this can easier is if you:

1. Export your current CTCT contacts and all info
  2. Import the new list of contacts
  3. Import the exported CTCT contacts to overwrite that new list's changes to the pre-existing contacts

For more info regarding contact file imports:

Format contact files for import

Duplicate contact removal suggestions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
William_A
Administrator

Hello @Bristolyc ,

Anytime you import a file into your CTCT account, our system will treat that as the most up-to-date info - including for re-imports. Therefore, if you're wanting to not have your file import overwrite the information in place for already-imported contacts, you'll need to make sure they're not in that file. 

One potential way this can easier is if you:

1. Export your current CTCT contacts and all info
  2. Import the new list of contacts
  3. Import the exported CTCT contacts to overwrite that new list's changes to the pre-existing contacts

For more info regarding contact file imports:

Format contact files for import

Duplicate contact removal suggestions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Apr 23
Community Conversations: SMS Marketing - Activate, Regulate, Communicate!
2PM - 3:00 PM EST