Uploading Contacts from Excel File

SOLVED
Go to solution
PlasterC9
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes
Sometimes I upload lists that are greater that 200 and constant contact will only import 63 or so of the contacts. I've also saved multiple files to eliminate columns, but constant contact still have the additional columns that I've deleted from the excel file.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator

Hello @PlasterC9 ,

Can you confirm that all the contacts have an email address, and that there are no duplicates? Can you also confirm if they are all 100% brand new contacts, and not contacts that already exist in your account? Do you only have one column devoted to email addresses? 

Unless you explicitly DELETE the column in whatever program you use for your spreadsheet, the file will still contain "blank" data for previously-filled cells, which will then force our system to read. If you're having trouble truly deleting the empty cells, you can copy-paste the cells with actual info into a fresh file, and that will generally cause the program to not recognize the empty cells when saving your file.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
William_A
Administrator

Hello @PlasterC9 ,

Can you confirm that all the contacts have an email address, and that there are no duplicates? Can you also confirm if they are all 100% brand new contacts, and not contacts that already exist in your account? Do you only have one column devoted to email addresses? 

Unless you explicitly DELETE the column in whatever program you use for your spreadsheet, the file will still contain "blank" data for previously-filled cells, which will then force our system to read. If you're having trouble truly deleting the empty cells, you can copy-paste the cells with actual info into a fresh file, and that will generally cause the program to not recognize the empty cells when saving your file.

William A
AMTNG
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

I was wondering, what happens if some of the contacts are not 100% new to the system? Are they ignored?

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

If you re-upload contacts (denoted by the unique email address) that are already in your account, our system will simply look for any new contact field data actually being imported (first name, home address, list membership, etc.) and update accordingly. They are otherwise left alone. 

For more info, please see our article on importing contacts via file.

William A
PlasterC9
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

Thanks so much, I had to delete the columns that I didn't want (in excel), and then copy the information into a new sheet, as suggested. After that, the contacts and all pulled just fine. 

William_A
Administrator

Glad to hear it. If you run into any other issues while uploading contacts from a file, our phone general support teams can work with you to securely receive the file and perform live troubleshooting with the file copy. Have a good day!

William A
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST