Fonts changing

SOLVED
Go to solution
CarolynN77
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

I created an email that included 2 script fonts: Dancing Script and Lobster Two. (The body of the email is a regular serif font.) When I send myself a test email, the two script fonts are changed to Comic Sans! Any idea why this is happening? Is it my ISP? My email program (Thunderbird)? Or is it a glitch?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @CarolynN77 ,

Dancing Script and Lobster Two are a known as "web fonts," and are not a web-safe or email-safe fonts. Therefore it will be entirely dependent on the receiving program / app and device if that font will be displayed as expected. Generally speaking web fonts will only really work in browser-based email programs, and even then may not always display as expected depending on the device. When an email program/app receives coding for a font it doesn't have access to, it will default to a similar font type it does, or whatever your device's default font type is.

If you have further questions regarding websafe and other font types, and how email programs may alter these upon receiving, please see our main article on the topic. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @CarolynN77 ,

Dancing Script and Lobster Two are a known as "web fonts," and are not a web-safe or email-safe fonts. Therefore it will be entirely dependent on the receiving program / app and device if that font will be displayed as expected. Generally speaking web fonts will only really work in browser-based email programs, and even then may not always display as expected depending on the device. When an email program/app receives coding for a font it doesn't have access to, it will default to a similar font type it does, or whatever your device's default font type is.

If you have further questions regarding websafe and other font types, and how email programs may alter these upon receiving, please see our main article on the topic. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
CarolynN77
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

Thanks so much for your help on this, William. You'd think in the age of advanced technology, ALL web applications and email programs would be able to read virtually every type of font.  But oh, well............

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
May 01
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST